Thread: Probably a stupid question...

Doc Fox

Default Probably a stupid question...

Hello,
    I introduced myself Saturday as having just brought home a "Moroccan Toad" (Bifo sp.). This is my first time with toads/frogs. I have had a veiled Chameleon for a while. Yesterday I put two crickets in the habitat, and Mr. Toad was interested... I saw him go for cricket twice, and miss. This morning both crickets were still in there.

Being a Velied Cham person, 3 things came to mind, and I got a little freaked and removed the crickets. First, Chams are never ever supposed to have substrate because of risk of impaction. This guy's mabitate has short of cubed/shredded/crumbled coconut coir as a substrate. From what I've read, this is okay.

Second, we always worry about hungry feeders nibbling on our friend in the night, which leads to third, we typicaaly have some kind of feeding cup/container.

So having removed the cricktes, I tried putting in a super worm, that burrowed and was gone in about 4 seconds.

So here's the stupid question... do we use feeding cups for toads? If so what kind and how? If not, how do we manage these challenges- or is this just a stupid question that amphibian people know that lizard people don't?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Probably a stupid question...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fox View Post
    Hello,
    I introduced myself Saturday as having just brought home a "Moroccan Toad" (Bifo sp.). This is my first time with toads/frogs. I have had a veiled Chameleon for a while. Yesterday I put two crickets in the habitat, and Mr. Toad was interested... I saw him go for cricket twice, and miss. This morning both crickets were still in there.

Being a Velied Cham person, 3 things came to mind, and I got a little freaked and removed the crickets. First, Chams are never ever supposed to have substrate because of risk of impaction. This guy's mabitate has short of cubed/shredded/crumbled coconut coir as a substrate. From what I've read, this is okay.

Second, we always worry about hungry feeders nibbling on our friend in the night, which leads to third, we typicaaly have some kind of feeding cup/container.

So having removed the cricktes, I tried putting in a super worm, that burrowed and was gone in about 4 seconds.

So here's the stupid question... do we use feeding cups for toads? If so what kind and how? If not, how do we manage these challenges- or is this just a stupid question that amphibian people know that lizard people don't?
    Doc Fox, good to see you again! I have toads and frogs. I know some hobbyists who will go out of their way to only feed a diet that is available in the native country of the animal. And I know much more people who will feed their frogs/toads crickets, fruit flies, other feeders based on the following: the feeder must not be bigger than the mouth of the amphibian. It's a rule of thumb. Therefore, your toad could definitely eat crickets if they are the right size (you have the choice as you know when it comes to crickets, from pinheads to full grown. 3/4 being somewhat the most common).

As usual, well dusted.

Eric

Thread Information