Thread: I need Tips on cleaning a 5050 setup

jaguilar15

Default I need Tips on cleaning a 5050 setup

So i have a couple of pixie frogs, And i have them in a 50 gallon with a 5050setup, Since the substrate is always getting into the water and the frogs defecating, i tried cleaning the tank by hand picking there poo, but I cannot keep up with them kicking substrate into the water also. I cannot siphon the water due to the low levels of water. Please someone give me any good ideas or simple ideas just so im not working too hard for something so simple. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jaguilar15

Default Re: I need Tips on cleaning a 5050 setup

jaguilar15

As you can see the substrate laid right under the pebbles in the water, so any advice is highly appreciated

Wolfx

I am also hoping someone has an answer, My lil Bully is a dirty monster, have to change filter every 2 days, an when i cleen it Bully jumps in an out of water twice as much....

jaguilar15

Its funny i just fed my herps and tyson goes in teh water and defecates....again. lol now i had to clean it with gloves and just pull it out the water.

froggystyle

Hey dude yeah I know what you mean about the water situation. My treefrogs will tend to wash off at the local waterfall in the tank. They love falling water, running water and mist. I have a sponge background so I cut out a hole in the sponge for a water pump. This was suggested to me by the pet store because the sponge acts as a natural filter for the water. I also took some screen material and carbon pellets and wrapped the pump and pellets with the screen material. I don't know how much a difference it made but my frogs seem to like the final product. When its time to change the water I use a syphon with a tube and suck water out. I only tasted frog **** water once using this method its not that bad. Good luck! XD

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by froggystyle View Post
    Hey dude yeah I know what you mean about the water situation. My treefrogs will tend to wash off at the local waterfall in the tank. They love falling water, running water and mist. I have a sponge background so I cut out a hole in the sponge for a water pump. This was suggested to me by the pet store because the sponge acts as a natural filter for the water. I also took some screen material and carbon pellets and wrapped the pump and pellets with the screen material. I don't know how much a difference it made but my frogs seem to like the final product. When its time to change the water I use a syphon with a tube and suck water out. I only tasted frog **** water once using this method its not that bad. Good luck! XD
    I've tried siphoning the water, but my water is too low to siphon but thanks for the advice. I even have two filters running in the water just to make sure the water stays as clean as possible

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I use this Amazon.com: biOrb Cleaner Pump: Kitchen & Dining to siphon two different tanks with the water level right where your tank's level is. One is a 50/50 20 gallon and the other is my Budgett's 10 gallon. This way you don't have to taste frog or anything. I'll post a video of it working if that will help.

jaguilar15

Hey jimi can you post the video im curious to see how it works, Do you think it will siphon all the substrate/fecies in the water?

Thread Information