Thread: Chytrid

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Post Chytrid

Ok, I feel a bit uneducated about this, so this can be an open discussion about it!
    Where does it come from, how does it effect frogs, how can it be prevented, what are treatments if your frog becomes infected?

Anything is game, and I feel I won't be the only one benefiting from an open discussion like this!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Chytrid

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Ok, I feel a bit uneducated about this, so this can be an open discussion about it!
    Where does it come from, how does it effect frogs, how can it be prevented, what are treatments if your frog becomes infected?

Anything is game, and I feel I won't be the only one benefiting from an open discussion like this!
    There's a great article by Socrates on this board on the fungus: http://www.frogforum.net/off-topic/7...id-fungus.html.

Chytrid is a type of fungus. It kills frogs by making the skin thicker (as it attacks the outer layers of their skin). That is called hyperkeratosis. For amphibians, this is lethal as they drink water through their skin. I've read that some frogs like the American bullfrogs are not affected by chytrid even when infected.

As a treatment, most people will either use a Lamasil AT treatment (terbinafine hydrochloride) or Itroconizole, which you can get with a vet prescription.

I can always send you a link on how to use Lamasil. Once you have the proper dosage, you soak your frog in the solution for 5 minutes a day for 10 days. The frog must soak from the chest down to the legs. More than that the frog might drown. And I have spoken to someone who his frog lost an eye because of the Lamasil solution.

I have much more on it. I'll interact more when others will partake!

Eric

KingBowser

Default Re: Chytrid

I'm currently treating with a solution of 200 ml of water with 1 ml of Lamisil. This was the recommendations of Steve Busch and so far I am getting excellent results. This must be done for 10 days and after each treatment, the quarantine tank must be disinfected.

Thread Information