Thread: Best places to get shipped frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Best places to get shipped frogs?

Apparently, it is illegal to sell frogs native to Wisconsin in Wisconsin. Which is probably why I got that free frog dropped on me rather than it being sold in the pet store it was ordered for.

In the next month or two, I'd really like to add a gray tree frog, I know that for sure. So I want to learn where I'll be able to get a gray tree frog from a reputable seller. Josh's frogs doesnt have any grays and that's the seller I've heard about the most.

TIA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Best places to get shipped frogs?

You can check with Tony from TC Frogs or Aaron AAAFrogs. I ordered my Red Eyes from Tony and other material from Aaron, ( No frogs yet from them ), both are great to deal with. I have ordered all my darts from Josh and have been very happy.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you Mike!

Tony

I'm sorry to say that I won't be of much help with the grays, all native Hylids are illegal to sell in Oregon. Any grays you do find for sale are going to be wild caught unless you are lucky enough to stumble upon the occasional hobbyist who bred them for fun. Is it legal for you to catch and keep them for personal use? If so you may as well skip the middlemen and simply collect them yourself, taking a few will not do any harm to local populations and you will probably end up with a healthier frog since it skips the stress of being collected and shipped several times between wholesalers, dealers and its final destination in your home.

6. This member thanks Tony for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm sorry to say that I won't be of much help with the grays, all native Hylids are illegal to sell in Oregon. Any grays you do find for sale are going to be wild caught unless you are lucky enough to stumble upon the occasional hobbyist who bred them for fun. Is it legal for you to catch and keep them for personal use? If so you may as well skip the middlemen and simply collect them yourself, taking a few will not do any harm to local populations and you will probably end up with a healthier frog since it skips the stress of being collected and shipped several times between wholesalers, dealers and its final destination in your home.
    Thank you for letting me know. I have no idea where/how to find tree frogs, I've literally only found 1 wild tree frog in my life and it was because it was stuck to my camper window! Around here we only seem to have black toads and bull frogs. Maybe I'll ask around and see if any of my friend's or kids' friends are good frog catchers.

Tony

I just did a bit of quick research and it appears that you may legally collect and possess up to five gray tree frogs. http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/.../HerpsRegs.pdf

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I just did a bit of quick research and it appears that you may legally collect and possess up to five gray tree frogs. http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/.../HerpsRegs.pdf
    You rock!! I was trying to look at the dnr website to find info on herps and I couldn't find anything!!

10. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Thank you for letting me know. I have no idea where/how to find tree frogs, I've literally only found 1 wild tree frog in my life and it was because it was stuck to my camper window! Around here we only seem to have black toads and bull frogs. Maybe I'll ask around and see if any of my friend's or kids' friends are good frog catchers.
    Go outside at night and listen for their calls. You may also find them in developed areas hanging around artificial lights at night, they learn to stake them out for the insects that are attracted to the light. I'm not sure what it is like now, but I remember taking a trip to WI for a family reunion in the early 90s and the ground was covered in newly metamorphosed gray tree frogs and American toads, it was almost impossible to avoid stepping on them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Go outside at night and listen for their calls. You may also find them in developed areas hanging around artificial lights at night, they learn to stake them out for the insects that are attracted to the light. I'm not sure what it is like now, but I remember taking a trip to WI for a family reunion in the early 90s and the ground was covered in newly metamorphosed gray tree frogs and American toads, it was almost impossible to avoid stepping on them.
    I am going out to listen right now, like I said, so far it's only been bull frogs and toads, but maybe I'll get lucky!! I've never looked at night!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am going out to listen right now, like I said, so far it's only been bull frogs and toads, but maybe I'll get lucky!! I've never looked at night!
    No such luck!! Just a ridiculously hot and sweaty search that brought up some giant toads and some big green frogs with webbed feet. I did hear plenty of bullfrogs though, probably why we dont have grays around here!

ETA: Now that I'm reading about them... I think the big green frogs I saw were Cope's Gray Tree frogs, they sound very similar and that's the noise I was definitely hearing. I have an Eastern Gray tree frog and the frogs I was finding were FAR bigger than my frog. They must be around somewhere then!!

No such luck!! Just a ridiculously hot and sweaty search that brought up some giant toads and some big green frogs with webbed feet. I did hear plenty of bullfrogs though, probably why we dont have grays around here!

ETA: Now that I'm reading about them... I think the big green frogs I saw were Cope's Gray Tree frogs, they sound very similar and that's the noise I was definitely hearing. I have an Eastern Gray tree frog and the frogs I was finding were FAR bigger than my frog. They must be around somewhere then!!
    I'd get you one if you lived closer. We have tons of them around here. We found one the other day at the gas station sitting on a gas pump. It was the biggest gray tree frog I had ever seen. At my parents house they are even more abundant. I even found one that had none of the basic designs that a normal gray tree frog has and looked more white than gray.

If you set a giant tub outside and leave it for a few days, they will come because they are breeding right now.

Tony

Cope's and Easterns appear identical, the only way to differentiate them is by call or chromosome counts. Your big green frogs are probably mink frogs, green frogs, or bullfrogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Cope's and Easterns appear identical, the only way to differentiate them is by call or chromosome counts. Your big green frogs are probably mink frogs, green frogs, or bullfrogs.
    I wasnt totally sure, going through the sounds they sound just like grey tree frogs...but they look nothing like the one I had.

This is what mine looks like - EEK! - Critter Corner - Eastern Gray Treefrog

This is what the ones I was finding looked like - EEK! - Critter Corner - Cope's Gray Treefrog

It says on the second link "Note: There aren't many differences between this and the eastern gray treefrog. Cope's tends to be smaller, has smoother skin, and when calling, is totally green without dark markings on its back"

My Grey tree frog is a juvenile, so I thought maybe that explained why the others looked so much bigger in comparison.

Thread Information