Thread: My frog won't eat!

billybong60

Default My frog won't eat!

Hi all,

I've had my North American Green Tree Frog for about a couple weeks now. And he's starting to get me really worried because he's not eating, (from what I can see). But I don't know how he's surviving.

I've been trying to feed him all sorts from, crickets to locusts, blood worms, to meal worms and wax worms. And so far, he doesn't want to eat anything. He doesn't seem stressed at all in His tank, and he looks perfectly healthy, so does any of you guys have any ideas on what I could do to make my frog eat again happily?!

Thanks all!

Will

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My frog won't eat!

Treefrogs can go a good length of time without eating assuming they are healthy, so surviving 2 weeks with no food is no surprise (though probably not ideal). It can take them time to settle in, so it may just be jitters. Some things to consider,

Are the prey items you are offering appropriately sized? i.e. small enough to fit in the mouth but also large enough to be noticed?

Are you dropping the prey items in the tank and letting nature take its course or trying to hand feed? Or moving it to a feeding container? The natural way in the frogs home viv seems the least stressful. Sometimes the worm type of feeders get ignored if they don't move fast enough for your frogs tastes. You can also try to let some of the waxworms turn to moths and offer the moths (though this will take a couple more weeks). Moths always get my treefrogs to attack instantly, no matter what deep philosophical quandaries they were contemplating at the time.

Is the frog housed alone? Has lots of climbing and hiding spots to feel safe in? (pics of the viv are always helpful..and of the frog too cuz we love pictures here) You can also cover 3 or even all 4 sides of the tank with something dark while it's getting settled in and remove it piece by piece as time goes by. Especially consider partially covering the tank if it's in a high (people) traffic area.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated.

billybong60

My frog is housed alone, and yeah there's loads of bushes and stuff in there. I'm trying to feed him by hand, just makes it easier and more fun! But I shall take a picture, because I've left the food in the vivarium for him and he's still not noticing that there's food in the dish!

Thanks!

Iratus ranunculus

That would be the reason. Drop the prey in there. Until the frog gets really used to having you around, he wont eat from your fingers. It has taken me over a year to get my leopard frogs and cuban treefrog to take food from my hand.

Thread Information