Thread: Size of enclosure

googie

Default Size of enclosure

Hi Guys:

Will the size of a frogs enclosure affect its growth?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Size of enclosure

I have heard peole say that tanks to small can physically stunt your frogs growth, but I am not sure how accurate those sources of information were...

I know with fish, if they are in a tank too small, they will be overwhelmed by a hormone they release, and in high quantities, they will stop growing (causing all kinds of internal problems). I am not sure how that would work with frogs, though.

pyxieBob

I seriously dbt it will. Especially for frogs who are typically not real active. Although to be well taken care of they should be kept in a good sized enclosure. One that is spacious, yet you can still heat, keep humid, and clean regularly.

googie

Hi Guys:

Thank you for the responses. We will see if it has any affect. We originally had gotten our ABF last October, and it was the size of a quarter. It is now 4 1/2 inches SNV, and very beefy ! Yet seems to have stopped growing (length wise at least).

We had it in a 10 gallon, but now it is housed in a 20 gallon long. I will keep a log of measurements, and see if growth begins again. In any case, it is housed in a more appropriate enclosure.

Thanks

pyxieBob

A 10 gallon tank is in no way to small for a Pyxie this small. Once it gets bigger then yes a bigger tank is needed. But to have ANY chance of stunting his growth because of the tank size you woulda had to keeep him in a coffee cup. lol you should post pics of him so we can see. But he is not small from the tank size. No way no how. Cant wait to see pics of him!

Wormwood

The more space you give a frog or toad, even squatters like pac-man and pixies the more oppurtunity they have to move around, dig new holes and strech and build their muscles.

I'm always on the side that says "the more space you can provide the better".

googie

WormWood:

I agree. Hugo seems more content. He is now spending 50/50 time on land and water. Whereas before in the smaller tank he spent 95% of his time sitting in his water bowl. Its actually kind of hilarous to watch him "walk." The big boy is not that graceful !

Thanks

Wormwood

I'm glad to hear it! May he have a long and active life.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I keep my female in a 40 long, just cause I figured I wanted her to have the most room, although I will admit at the time I thought she was a he (pretty big female, about 5 1/2 inches)

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    The more space you give a frog or toad, even squatters like pac-man and pixies the more oppurtunity they have to move around, dig new holes and strech and build their muscles.

I'm always on the side that says "the more space you can provide the better".
    I totally agree. My boy Jeremiah is in a 40 gallon breeder and he loves moving around. When he was smaller he would hop or climb up onto his big hide log.

When the weather is nice I will let him hop around the back yard or put him in my empty 2' x 6' covered tortoise pen.

Kevin1

If you let him hop on the ground outside be careful of chytridiomycosis.

About the fish and the hormones, It would slow down growth if the owner doesn't do enough water changes. Same with tadpoles frequent water changes are essential to healthy growth.

Thread Information