Thread: My first redeyed tree frog

Kentucky

Default My first redeyed tree frog

Hello,

I am new here. I am a new owner of a red eyed tree frog named Kentucky (the kids named him).

I am a little anxious because I am so new at caring for one of these beautiful creatures. What is normal behavior for a red eye? I expect him to sleep all day which he does. I monitor the humidity and the warmth of the tank. But now it is well after dark and he has not moved at all, still asleep on the side of the tank. Is that normal? The first night we had him we actually saw him nab two crickets. It was still light outside. Now we don't see much activity but there is usually a cricket missing every morning.

Can someone tell me what the signs are of a sick red eye? As a newby what should I look out for? What mistakes did you make that I can avoid? I really want this little guy to be happy and not die.

Thanks for all your advice!
    Kentucky

bshmerlie

Default Re: My first redeyed tree frog

Welcome to the forum Kentucky. First have you read the care article on the left for your new frog? It often takes some time for a new frog to settle in to his new home. Provide him with good cover(lots of plants) , a shallow soaking dish, and a quiet and completely dark place for him to be during his awake period. They are nocturnal and will only wake up when it is completely dark. Why don't you post a picture of your tank setup so we can look at the environment he's living in to make sure everything looks good. Also make .sure the crickets you're feeding him are no bigger than the space between his eyes. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pics.

Thread Information