Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impacted?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Impacted?

Ok, so since my baby pacman has eaten 3 superworms, 1 pinkie, 6 red wigglers, and a few dubia nymphs over the past 2 1/2 weeks, i havent seen him poop, however his feeding response seems to still be normal. So, if my little guy is impacted, what kind of home remedies can I use to stimulate him to go? Like i said, he hasn't gone in his water dish, and upon substrate searches i came up empty handed, but maybe there is a chance I'm just not seeing it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pyxieBob

Default Re: Impacted?

pick him up, and gently touch his belly to see if you can feel and hard lumps. Or what I do if they havnt gone is put warm water in small tupperware and put him in there and he will most likely go poop in a few minutes.

desiredaffect

Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    pick him up, and gently touch his belly to see if you can feel and hard lumps. Or what I do if they havnt gone is put warm water in small tupperware and put him in there and he will most likely go poop in a few minutes.
    i second that leave him for about a half a hour, you will be surprised how big wot come out some times

thats a small one but it makes me cringe

Nationality
    [United States]

There has been some very good advice so far. I was worried about the same thing afew weeks ago. Malcolm is on cocofiber. When I cleaned his tank out reciently, I found some turds I didn't see. Often they are big enough to see, so I guess the smaller means he is doing all that much better.

Maybe if you get a glove and carefully skin through your Pacman Frog's substrate, you may find evidence that he is not impacted. As pyxieBob mentioned earlier, checking for a lump near the middle of their belly is also a good way to find out if your Pacman Frog is impacted.

Hope your Pacman Frog is not impacted!

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I dont notice anything out of the ordinary in concern with lumps, and the warm water bath resulted in nothing but a slightly annoyed pacman...

I'll give the substrate a check now, see what i can come up with...

desiredaffect

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Well I dont notice anything out of the ordinary in concern with lumps, and the warm water bath resulted in nothing but a slightly annoyed pacman...

I'll give the substrate a check now, see what i can come up with...
    just keep trying every evening with the baths, mine finally went yesterday after a few days of baths, so i left the turd to dry out so i could check it to see what in his diet may have been blocking him up and as i suspected it was just a lot of substrate but i also found these. could they be a parasite?? there rather large you can see them with out the magnifying glass.

8. This member thanks desiredaffect for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That almost seems like a larva or worm of some sort... I havent seen ne thing like that in my substrate ne way...
    No hidden poop either for that matter

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, day 3 of warm baths and still nothing, and he seems to be looking a bit swollen around his mid section.

i read somewhere online that a very small amount of medemucial (spelling) or other stimulate in the water or dusted on their food can help them go, but that just seems a bit weird to me and I dont wanna risk it without some feedback.

Any thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]

Bruce, I have heard of people giving their frog medications to help them go, but I myself cannot remember the names. I actually think I may have stumbled on that information somewhat reciently, so I am going to go look around (maybe check my web viewing history) and see if I can find that info.

pyxieBob

It does sound like he is blocked up, damn it that's not fun. I'm sorry. The only thing I would even consider trying is all natural canned pumpkin juice. But that's iffy. Do you know of anything he nay have ingested to cause a block? Or has he eaten many rodents...? The most common block is compacted substrate, or a chunk of gravel. Is he interested in food still?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am sorry. I was unable to locate the site with that specific information on it.

frogmike

My frogs are on a mostly rodent diet(their preferense), and they have no problems with throwin' fleshies! I have to remove multiple thumb sized stanky turds every week. If I don't, there will be a bad smell, then mold. maybe you should feed your frog a little more. Is that all he ate in two weeks? food=poop!

frogmike

I feed my baby pacs 1 pinky every day with calcium covered super worms, crickets, and an occasional wax worm thrown in the mix. As they grow older they stop eating so often and would rather have 1 or 2 mice a week. I breed mice, so there is no more $3 per mouse to burn me with! plus ther is usually a few pinkies for the little guys.

pyxieBob

Pacmans may survive off that diet of almost only rodents. But im willing to bet that im not the only pacman keeper with years and years of exp that would NOT recomend this. A good mix of differnt bugs w calcium is best. And mice once in a while.

pyxieBob

Bruce if he is still showing that hel eat then feed him. If they have any sort of true compaction they WILL stop eating. But if he looks hungry awake and going for food I would feed him for sure. Yes more food does equal more poop. I have had frogs that had small diets with almost 3 weeks between poops. See if he will eat and let us know. Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

he's in an eco earth bedding, so i dont thing the substrate is the issue. Yes, thats all hes had in 2 weeks, and his appetite it still very strong, he threw back a few more roaches today actually. that pinky he had was also his 1st

pyxieBob

good, he sounds ok to me. I was worried when you wrote earlier that his belly seemed to be getting bigger. and i had forgotten to ask if he was eating still. That belly buldge is most likely a big poop cooking up in there lol. Also do not feed him a pinky a day. please. lol

Nationality
    [United States]

lol i wasnt going to, i have a dubia roach colony for a staple... i was thinking the pinky every 2 weeks or so

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by frogmike View Post
    My frogs are on a mostly rodent diet(their preferense), and they have no problems with throwin' fleshies! I have to remove multiple thumb sized stanky turds every week. If I don't, there will be a bad smell, then mold. maybe you should feed your frog a little more. Is that all he ate in two weeks? food=poop!
    Quote Originally Posted by frogmike View Post
    I feed my baby pacs 1 pinky every day with calcium covered super worms, crickets, and an occasional wax worm thrown in the mix. As they grow older they stop eating so often and would rather have 1 or 2 mice a week. I breed mice, so there is no more $3 per mouse to burn me with! plus ther is usually a few pinkies for the little guys.
    Hey guys. I am sorry this isn't extremely relevent to the impaction topic, but I need to point something out. I am not trying to be mean to frogmike at all, but he and everyone else reading this thread needs to know.

If mice are fed to Pacman Frogs too often as in the case listed above, lipids will start developing in the cornia of the Pacman Frog's eyes. This will eventually cause ir-reversable blindness and possibly even death! Be very careful not to overfeed rodents! They are very fatty! They should never be used as a primary food source for reasons listed above.

A rodent or 2 once a month, or maybe a (1) rodent twice a month is fine (depending on the size of the rodent and Pacman Frog of course), but with a pinky a day (or even twice a week debatebly) is not going to keep the blindness away (in fact, quite the opposite).

I just needed to point that out. Hope you guys don't mind.

Also, I am glad to hear that your Pacman Frogs seems to be eating fine, Bruce. My Pacman Frog takes forever it seems to take a poo, and then he is back to being the baddest monster cranwelli this planted knows.

pyxieBob

my thoughts exactly metree!!, I just said it much less obviously. Im glad you just wrote that. U stole words right out of my mouth. I feel if you own these frog to watch them kill rats then buy a snake instead! so thats I wrote this msg earlier......
    Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    good, he sounds ok to me. I was worried when you wrote earlier that his belly seemed to be getting bigger. and i had forgotten to ask if he was eating still. That belly buldge is most likely a big poop cooking up in there lol. Also do not feed him a pinky a day. please. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information