Thread: Favorite spot destroyed

Zach

Default Favorite spot destroyed

Well, my favorite herping spot has been destroyed. Not by constuction or anything, but by the very people that run it. Oh, did I forget to mention this is a nature preserve? I went there in early March this year, and was puzzled by the lack of frogs.
    At the same time and spot last year there were hundreds of chorus frogs, this year they were only in the woods and fields around the nature preserve. Well I have solved that mystery. The Sycamore Land Trust, which owns the land, has decided to try and get rid of the invasive Canary Reed Grass. In fall 2010, they began a three year project to eradicate the grass from the preserve. The best way to do this of course would be to spray a crapload of herbicide all over the grass, using a "wetlands approved herbicide." Here is the sign that said everything about it.

In 2010 I visited the area frequently, and it was especially important to me because of its large population of frogs, especially Southern Leopard frogs. I always saw 50+ on the trail. Today i did not see a single live leopard frog. I did see this dead one.

Though I am not certain the herbicide was responsible for this individual's death, it obviously had severe effects on the population. Everywhere the water was nasty looking and had a weird tinge to it. Not just stagnant water nasty, but like sewer water nasty. At another part the water was a little cleaner, but there were thousands of aquatic snails on the surface of the water. I know from keeping snails in aquariums for years that this is a sign of bad water quality. There were far many more than in this picture, but the other picture didn't turn out.

I did discover some green frogs in small pockets of the swamp, but not near in the numbers they used to be. Here is one juvenile that was sitting on the boardwalk.

At one other spot I saw a cricket frog. Again, i used to see tons of these guys, but today I was happy to see one.

Based on what I saw (really didn't see) today and back in March, this wetland obviously doesn't approve of this herbicide. I think i am going to write a letter or something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Favorite spot destroyed

That is totally heart breaking Zach. Unfortunately I saw a simular thing here at my local reserve 2 years ago. They decided to cut down and replant. They also did a lot of spraying. There is hope though because it was only a few months ago that I heard the Whistlers croaking again. I think you should write a letter. I wish I had . I wondered if they were even aware the frogs were there. If there are problems with the water then you may bring there attention to that and they may clean that up.

Zach

Default Re: Favorite spot destroyed

Yea, it is a shame. It used to be pefect for frogs now their are barely any there. I have sent them an email, I'll let you know how they respond.

Thread Information