Thread: Worried about BBWT!

Duffy316

Default Worried about BBWT!

Hi all, I hope you can help. I picked up my BBWT (Helmsley) last friday and I've not yet seen him eat. I think it's a male, the reptile shop I got him from didn't really have much of a knowledge base. The problem I have is that my fruit fly cultures have been delayed so I've just been leaving tiny crickets in with him. But like I said, I've not seen him eat and he's really skinny. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could try him with in the meantime. I live in the UK so was wondering if he'd be ok with common UK ants, or if they could damage him by nibbling. I hope someone can give me some pointers, it's my first BBWT. I've had Fire-Bellied's in the past and I've got a gecko at the moment but this little guy is really concerning me! I can upload pictures or additional info if that helps. Thanks for your time!

clownonfire

Default Re: Worried about BBWT!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy316 View Post
    Hi all, I hope you can help. I picked up my BBWT (Helmsley) last friday and I've not yet seen him eat. I think it's a male, the reptile shop I got him from didn't really have much of a knowledge base. The problem I have is that my fruit fly cultures have been delayed so I've just been leaving tiny crickets in with him. But like I said, I've not seen him eat and he's really skinny. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could try him with in the meantime. I live in the UK so was wondering if he'd be ok with common UK ants, or if they could damage him by nibbling. I hope someone can give me some pointers, it's my first BBWT. I've had Fire-Bellied's in the past and I've got a gecko at the moment but this little guy is really concerning me! I can upload pictures or additional info if that helps. Thanks for your time!
    Fruit flies will be his main diet. And pinhead crickets will be great until your FF culture arrives. Pinheads though will like to hide in the substrate. So put the pinheads in a dish where it will be easier for you BBWT to get to them. You could always put your bbwt in a small feeding tank if you want to make sure it eats. Or close one part of your tank to make the area covered less of a large one for it to get to the crickets.

3. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Duffy316

Ok, thanks very much, I'll give that a try!

Duffy316

Ok, I've got him in the feeding tank, with mini mealworms and pinhead crickets. He's eaten one mealworm but showed no interest in the crickets. Also, he's grabbed one but then spat it out again. Can anyone shed any light? Could they be clamping on and causing him discomfort? Thanks again.

clownonfire

Ok, I've got him in the feeding tank, with mini mealworms and pinhead crickets. He's eaten one mealworm but showed no interest in the crickets. Also, he's grabbed one but then spat it out again. Can anyone shed any light? Could they be clamping on and causing him discomfort? Thanks again.
    If they are real pinheads (tiny tiny crickets) they shouldn't be a problem. If they are slightly bigger, and not real pinheads (some will sell crickets being marketed as pinheads when in fact they are older crickets), your toad will have a problem. Google pinhead cricket, you will see how small they are.

Mealworms are not really recommended as they are harder on the stomach. It won't be a problem once in a while. If you can find real phoenix worm, it would be better. No hard shells to digest. Again, get the youngest worms to make sure the size is right.

froggystyle

I gave my Bumble bee toads ants once. Get a jar, drill 2 holesand put 2 bendy straws on the holes and suck ants into the jar. Then you can dump a few but not to many they may attack. The toad will lick em up and hopefully get energy to chomp a cricket. You can also get a vitamin spray and give the ants and flys a squirt right before you feed it. Good luck I hope your toad gets better soon.

Duffy316

Thanks for all your help guys, I've finally managed to get my hands on some hatchling crickets, which he's now demolishing at an astonishing rate! I'm still using the feeding tank so I can monitor his intake and get him up to a healthy weight. He's eating roughly 15-20 pinheads in a sitting, possibly more because I leave him in the tank with some and obviously it's hard to see what he's getting up to in there! Hopefully he'll be ok now until the fruit flies arrive!
    Thanks again!

clownonfire

Thanks for all your help guys, I've finally managed to get my hands on some hatchling crickets, which he's now demolishing at an astonishing rate! I'm still using the feeding tank so I can monitor his intake and get him up to a healthy weight. He's eating roughly 15-20 pinheads in a sitting, possibly more because I leave him in the tank with some and obviously it's hard to see what he's getting up to in there! Hopefully he'll be ok now until the fruit flies arrive!
    Thanks again!
    That is fantastic news!

Eric

Thread Information