So I just bought a pacman frog today from PetCo, and named him Lump. I have no idea which species or sex. I did a little internet research on them before buying him, but as it's the internet, it's conflicting, so I have questions. I've never taken care of a frog before, so I'm a little nervous.

Right now, I've got him in the 10 gallon tank, with eco earth, a fake plant, a real plant, a water dish, and a little moss. It has a wire mesh lid, a little heat pad, and a lamp (Zilla tropical kit).

When I put him in the tank, he immediately burrowed in. Here's a close-up of the little guy. I didn't want to prod him out of his little hole right after he moved in, I'd imagine he's stressed out enough already.

Anyhow, the questions:

1) The moss. I read it's good for pacman tanks (It even had a picture of one on the bag), but that they can eat it and die. Should it stay or should it be relegated to making my potted plants look nice?

2) The heating pad. I read to put the pad on the side of the tank, because they burrow to get away from the heat. Other places said putting it on the bottom was fine. Putting it on the side doesn't seem to be keeping the tank warm enough, so are the frogs generally smart enough to figure out where the heat is coming from?

3) The lamp. Does it roast the frog, or is it good for the frog? It seemed bright while it was on, so I positioned the fake plant leaves over his chosen spot like an umbrella. Right now, it's very hard to get the tank above room temp.

4) The lid. I don't understand how a wire mesh lid made it into a tropical kit. I have to mist everything very frequently, or the humidity drops down to about 50%. It also keeps the tank at room temperature pretty effectively. What would be better, because this obviously isn't working well.

5) The food. PetCo person said crickets and then when he's bigger, pinkie mice once a week. The internet almost unanimously says no. What else do I feed him, and where do I get it? (I guess PetCo would have more than just crickets and mice for sale, I just need to know what to ask for. Not fish. A lot of their fish looked sick.) The pet store person was fairly unhelpful beyond putting my frog in a box for me. Also, I asked for the calcium/vitamin powder, and she gave me one without D3, saying it wasn't essential; is this true, or should I go get some with D3 for my shake and bake cricket needs?

6) More food. He didn't eat his crickets today, so I scooped them back out and stuck them in a ziploc bag with some potato. When should I expect him to want to eat? What do I need to feed the crickets?

Do you have any other advice for me? I'll probably have more questions later, and maybe a better picture.