Thread: How are Albinos created?

Default How are Albinos created?

Hi I noticed many people have albino pets and I've always wanted one.
    So my question is what causes a frog to become albino?
    Thanks to anyone who answers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: How are Albinos created?

It is caused by a random genetic mutation, you just have to be lucky enough to either have one pop up in your collection or find it in the wild, then breed to fix the trait.

Thanks Tony is it possible to have a half albino by breeding a normal and an albino?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you bred a normal and Albino you'd likely end up with normal or Albino. Albinos completely lack Melanin which is resposnible for red/brown tones in hair/skin/eye eye's - hence why albino animals have pink eyes. The closest you would get to half Albino is Leucistic. Leucistic Animals have a reduction in all pigments - not only Melanin and usually will be pale in body color but still posess normal coloured eyes and patches or normal skin/fur/feather I've seen Leucistic Snakes and lizards and are beautiful with their really white/pink skin and dark eyes - never seen a Leucistic frog though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Check out the albino reticulated pattern of African clawed frog (ACF). It is an albino with black eyes. Very cool
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    Thanks Tony is it possible to have a half albino by breeding a normal and an albino?
    Generally no. Albinism is usually caused by a recessive gene, meaning that the frog must carry two copies of the gene for the trait to be displayed. Breeding a normal to an albino will give you normals that carry a single copy of the gene (heterozygous). Breeding the heterozygous frogs with each other and/or back to the albino parent will then produce some albinos among their offspring (roughly 25% of the clutch for het to het breeding, and 50% for het to visual).

Leucistic snakes look amazing I love the contrast of their dark eyes against the pale skin.
    Reticulated ACFs look very strange compared to a normal ACF, but still amzing.

Thanks for your replies.

Thread Information