Thread: Help!!

ApxWingman

Default Help!!

So I have completed my setup for my FBTs and I wanted to let the tank run for a couple weeks incase any problems arised. It is a good thing that I did as I am now getting mold starting to grow on a piece of driftwood that I have. I have searched and found different anwsers on how to get rid of it. Keep in mind that however I am cleaning it has to be done in the tank since the piece of wood is siliconed in so removing it to clean/bale is out of the question.

Springtails:
    How effective are these? I am concerned about using them as I will have a screen top and I don't want these guys running around my house. How have people been doing with them with a screen top?

I also read that I could use vineagar/lemon to get rid of it. Is this only temporary? How does this affect the toads?

The other thing that I thought may work, was get an old toothbrush and use water and clean/scrub it, and just do spot cleaning as I see it starting to appear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Help!!

Youll get mould on any wood when you put it in the high humidity of a viv - just keep spraying it with water and that will help.
    Springtails will help - not all of them are particularly jumpy - I have found folsomia candida much less so than say the tropical species I have (seira sp) and they are great at clearing up mould and are still very productive over quite a wide temperature range.
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

ApxWingman

Where is the best place to buy them? Either online or in a store. Getting water on the particular part is a little bit harder because it is on the underside of the wood. Would scrubbing it with water help in the meantime?

artes

I would scrub with vinegar in the meantime. It won't hurt the frogs, and it will kill mold very well.

ApxWingman

I scrubbed it with water and it is all clean now. I will try vinegar if/when it comes back. Thanks for the help. Any idea on where to get springtails? I can't seem to find anyone around here that sells them

artes

None. I guess internet stores?

ApxWingman

nothing that I am able to find. All the online stores are out of country and will not ship insects/feeders/animals across borders so no luck for me

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by ApxWingman View Post
    nothing that I am able to find. All the online stores are out of country and will not ship insects/feeders/animals across borders so no luck for me
    Hey! I have springtails in all my tanks, but my FBT as it is mostly water and rocks and plants. They are great, they will clean. Just be aware that your FBT will not care about this microfauna because of their size and they will invade your tank. They won't stress your frog, though.

To find some, I would suggest in your case to go on Canadart.org. There are always on sale. You can also talk to Glenn (frogfreak) who sells feeders. He might be able to ship you some. He's in Ontario.

Eric

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Hey! I have springtails in all my tanks, but my FBT as it is mostly water and rocks and plants. They are great, they will clean. Just be aware that your FBT will not care about this microfauna because of their size and they will invade your tank. They won't stress your frog, though.

To find some, I would suggest in your case to go on Canadart.org. There are always on sale. You can also talk to Glenn (frogfreak) who sells feeders. He might be able to ship you some. He's in Ontario.

Eric
    If you can't find some, let me know. I'll ship you some. Just cover the shipping fee. Should be dirt cheap.

ApxWingman

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    If you can't find some, let me know. I'll ship you some. Just cover the shipping fee. Should be dirt cheap.

Yea that would be awesome! I am going to send you a PM with my address info, just let me know how much and I will glady take some off your hands.

Thread Information