Thread: Under tank heating vrs. over tank heating

DogRetepCow

Default Under tank heating vrs. over tank heating

Hey everyone, I'm a new frog owner and new to this forum. I just got a young American Green Tree frog. He's one inch long at this point. I have a 12x12x18 Naturalistic Terrarium cage. I got two 12" Naturalistic Terrarium Hoods: http://www.petco.com/product/109910/...rium-Hood.aspx

I was using one for UVB light and the other for heating (briefly). However, I took the heating off upon doing some further research, as I was using a 50 watt and realized that that was way too hot for the poor guy. I have since learned that I should use a lower watt like a ten watt.

I've been doing a lot of research online for green tree frog care and one thing that is still unclear to me is the best way to heat the vivarium: Is it ok to continue using the Naturalistic Terrarium Hood for over the tank heating if I use a ten watt bulb? Or should I get a heating pad to put under or beside the tank? I'm worried that if I continue to use the naturalistic terrarium , even with a low watt bulb, that it will be too hot and dry up and kill my frog. I've gotten the sense that overhead heating is more appropriate for reptiles, while under the tank heating is better for amphibians. Is that right? What are your guys' opinions on this matter? Also if it is ok to use the over tank heating, would that block out my frog's ventillation? I ask because the top lid would be completely covered by the hood for the UVB light and another hood for the heating bulb. If using over the tank heating, should they not be placed directly on the lid of the tank, but elevated above it somehow?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate as I just want what's best for my frog.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ZachTurner

Default Re: Under tank heating vrs. over tank heating

Im completely against under-tank heating for arboreal frogs..
    These guys live in the shrub layer so Im sure others may differ in there opinion..
    The American Green tree frog requires a Temp range is 68-77F during the summer, and a little cooler in the winter.. So Your household temperature should almost be good enough..
    That being said..
    You need a Thermometer if you dont already have one..
    I like the hood.. yes 10-15 watts would be better.. but I dont think incandescent lighting is the way to go.. A nice low watt compact florescent would work much better in my opinion.

DogRetepCow

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTurner View Post
    Im completely against under-tank heating for arboreal frogs..
    These guys live in the shrub layer so Im sure others may differ in there opinion..
    The American Green tree frog requires a Temp range is 68-77F during the summer, and a little cooler in the winter.. So Your household temperature should almost be good enough..
    That being said..
    You need a Thermometer if you dont already have one..
    I like the hood.. yes 10-15 watts would be better.. but I dont think incandescent lighting is the way to go.. A nice low watt compact florescent would work much better in my opinion.
    Thanks, why are you against under-tank heating for tree frogs? And would having the heat lamp and UVB lamp together on the lid block out the ventillation?

ZachTurner

You should not need a "heat lamp".. unless you live in a cold house most people are able to keep these frogs with little or no out side heating help at all..
    Its only a Ten gallon tank a simple 15watt incandescent or 20-35watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp should emit enough heat all by its lonesome. They are Nocturnal so little to no UVB is required.
    Just Monitor your Temps Closely. Im sure the temps are not that far out of your range..

As far as under-tank heating for arboreal frogs goes.. Despite its usual lack of effectiveness given the need for tall enclosures.. In my opinion it also messes with their natural behavior. Arboreal frogs use their vertical habitat to regulate their body temperature naturally moving "to ground" or under brush to cool down.. being a nocturnal creature that retreats from the light and having to now unnaturally thermo-regulate itself by moving away from ground often causes bizarre captive behaviors..

DogRetepCow

Quote Originally Posted by ZachTurner View Post
    You should not need a "heat lamp".. unless you live in a cold house most people are able to keep these frogs with little or no out side heating help at all..
    Its only a Ten gallon tank a simple 15watt incandescent or 20-35watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp should emit enough heat all by its lonesome. They are Nocturnal so little to no UVB is required.
    Just Monitor your Temps Closely. Im sure the temps are not that far out of your range..

As far as under-tank heating for arboreal frogs goes.. Despite its usual lack of effectiveness given the need for tall enclosures.. In my opinion it also messes with their natural behavior. Arboreal frogs use their vertical habitat to regulate their body temperature naturally moving "to ground" or under brush to cool down.. being a nocturnal creature that retreats from the light and having to now unnaturally thermo-regulate itself by moving away from ground often causes bizarre captive behaviors..
    Cool, thanks. I didn't know tree frogs self-regulate their temperature by moving up or down. That's pretty cool. Would you recommend under-tank heating for any type of non-aroboreal frog? Like a pacman, leopard frog, bullfrog, etc.

DogRetepCow

Hey guys, so I'm pretty sure I don't need any incadescent heating for my green tree frog. I've got a flourescent UVB light and according to my thermometers the temperature ranges from 70-73 during the day, and can get down to 68 degrees or so at night. These numbers are in the range for what green treen frogs need, but is it sufficient enough? Would it be preferable to try to increase the heating to like 77 degrees,rather than to keep the temperaure at 72? If so, than would a low watt incadescent bulb be enough to bring the heat up just a few more notches? And is 15 watts the lowest an incadescent will go to? I can't seem to find lower wattage bulbs.

Thanks, guys

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I can't answer your question whether you should or should not get a incadescent bulb. But if you do, you can always use a dimmer to bring the heat down, if you can't find one with low wattage enough.

ZachTurner

Yep.. Inline dimmers are around 3$.. Great investment. Super easy to dial in temps..
    Your running a tad cold around 2 maybe 3 degrees.. with summer coming you could just as easily wait a few months to be safe..
    If I remember correctly AGTF dont like any more than 10hours of day light..
    So 10 on 14 off if your not already..

bshmerlie

I would just use one hood with a normal compact fluorescent. If your already at 70-73 you'll be fine....summer is approaching and those small tanks warm up pretty quickly.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Just to add to what others I have said it also depends on the construction of your tank. All my tanks have a 3-4inch leca layer with the substrate on top of that (with a substrate divider) and so under heating that sort of setup is not efficient at all. You may just end up with a cracked bottom from the standing water and the amount of heat required to cause any temp increase through that thick layer.
    I therefore, where it is required, heat my vivs with side mounted heat mats always attached to a reasonable thermostat. As has been previously posted however your particular species prob wont need extra heating, certainly not as we enter the summer months.
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

DogRetepCow

Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone!

Thread Information