Thread: Big Eyed tree frog HELP!

BigEye

Default Big Eyed tree frog HELP!

One of my two new big eyes has a small wound on his nose It is pink and fleshy with it kind of whitish and fleshy to the side of the mouth. I don't want this guy to die. Can you guys tell me what to do? What kind of infection could it be? What medicine do I get?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Big Eyed tree frog HELP!

It sounds to me like nose rub. If it is you will need to treat it with silver sulfadiazine. A picture would help if you could post one. Neosporin could help too (without pain killer which will kill your frog). But if you can find SS, it would be the first choice for nose rub.

It could also be because of rubbing on the glass. Frogs can sometimes try and get out "through the glass" if there's not enough leafage for them to be secured.

Eric

4. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

BigEye

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    It sounds to me like nose rub. If it is you will need to treat it with silver sulfadiazine. A picture would help if you could post one. Neosporin could help too (without pain killer which will kill your frog). But if you can find SS, it would be the first choice for nose rub.

It could also be because of rubbing on the glass. Frogs can sometimes try and get out "through the glass" if there's not enough leafage for them to be secured.

Eric
    Thank you

clownonfire

I should mention. If it is nose run, you will see your frog rubbing it's nose quite often, which is hard to miss.... Also, and to make sure you are not contaminating your other frogs, you should put this one in a quarantine tank. Basically another clean tank while you are treating it. If you need help setting one, let me know.

Good luck.

Eric

BigEye

I should mention. If it is nose run, you will see your frog rubbing it's nose quite often, which is hard to miss.... Also, and to make sure you are not contaminating your other frogs, you should put this one in a quarantine tank. Basically another clean tank while you are treating it. If you need help setting one, let me know.

Good luck.

Eric
    He opens his mouth often when he is awake. Also i have some origianl neosporin here and says nothing about painkillers. Would that be good?And his pink area has turned White.

clownonfire

If you have original Neosporin and it has no numbing agent or pain killers, yes, it will help at least with potential infection.

BigEye

If you have original Neosporin and it has no numbing agent or pain killers, yes, it will help at least with potential infection.
    Thx again, the little guy is crawling on the screen right now, I sure hope he doesn't die.

clownonfire

LIsten, I really feel for you and I'd like to help. I have one of these and they are splendid.

Do you have plants in the tank, enough for him to hide behind? Is it humid? These like it humid. 80% will be good.

If he is rubbing a lot on the screen, it could be because he's trying to get out if he doesn't feel secure...

Pictures would REALLY help...

Eric

BigEye

LIsten, I really feel for you and I'd like to help. I have one of these and they are splendid.

Do you have plants in the tank, enough for him to hide behind? Is it humid? These like it humid. 80% will be good.

If he is rubbing a lot on the screen, it could be because he's trying to get out if he doesn't feel secure...

Pictures would REALLY help...

Eric
    This is him yesterday

clownonfire

The links to the pictures don't work...

BigEye

I will get pics of the cage up in a bit.

BigEye

I don't know how to post pics so i copied and pasted from my e-mail.

BigEye

Update
    The White is spreading to the bottom lip and farther to th right
    What else could it be? It probably was originaly him jumping at the plastic, but could he have gotten a fungal infection?

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by BigEye View Post
    Update
    The White is spreading to the bottom lip and farther to th right
    What else could it be? It probably was originaly him jumping at the plastic, but could he have gotten a fungal infection?
    It could be an infection. At this point, you might want to bring your frog at a vet. Antibiotics might be needed.

BigEye

It could be an infection. At this point, you might want to bring your frog at a vet. Antibiotics might be needed.
    I have gotten some malachite green for it, my mom doesn't want to spend $80 or so bucks on a $15 frog
    He somes to be doing better though.

Thread Information