Thread: Please Help ID this Frog

BciJoe

Default Please Help ID this Frog

I live in SWFL and caught these outside.

Noticed lots of tadpoles, which at their largest measured approximately the size of a dime around at the head area and about 1 1/2" total length.

The tadpoles were black and the froglets would go from brown to tan to eventually a green color. In their brown and tan phase they showed a bright gold line running along side of the body on either side, and as fully developed green frogs they seem to lose the stripe. This stripe goes from over the eye down to the back end. There is also a smaller stripe just below the eye along the jawline.

I found one ditch with tons of albino tadpoles and collected them to see what came out - have never seen albinos out in the wild.

I acquired some 1/4" crickets but most of them are about the size of the fully morphed frogs so a bit difficult, if not impossible to eat! and my fruit fly order arrived dead.

Here are some rough pics - it was difficult to get a closeup of such small frogs without losing focus on my old camera.

Hopefully someone can help point them out and let me know if they are worth anything or not, common or uncommon.

Thanks much! Joe

PS - at this time I have been told they could be green or cuban tree frogs, or maybe even squirrels, but from what i've seen they look nothing like the latter.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Please Help ID this Frog

I can't really get a positve ID with these pictures, but I think they may be Puerto Rican coqui, Eleutherodactylus coqui.
    http://images.nbii.gov/RRichards/D_p...Aguirre060.jpg

Now by SWFL do you mean southern Florida, like Miami or western Florida, like Tallahassee? The coqui are found in the miami area, but not the rest of the state, according to the filed guides.

BciJoe

SWFL stands for Southwest Florida - this means the area including cities like Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Tampa and such.

I've been to Puerto Rico and have heard Coqui, but have not heard them around here...

Thanks much for your info, I will check the link and update more later.

Thanks again, Joe

Kurt

They could also be little grass frogs, Pseudacris ocularis or maybe squirrel treefrogs, Hyla squirella.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Difficult from those photos but I think Pseudacris. I've seen Coquis in the wild and they don't look like them to me.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'm going to agree with John. I can't really tell from the photos but I believe they are Psuedacris or some other species of chorus frog. Eleutherodactylids generally do not breed in water, they complete their entire growth in their eggs on land. Keep us updated with pics and hopefully we can all nail down a species.

Best of Luck
    Alex

Thread Information