Thread: Emergency Help Please

IThinkImAFrog

Default Emergency Help Please

Hi,

I am a newer member here, and am in need of some quick advice.

I collect and breed Megophrys nasuta (Malaysian Leaf Frogs). While cleaning out one of my tanks, I noticed that one of my females went poo, but hanging out of her butt is a long dark-orange...thing....I pulled on it ever so gently, but it almost seems like it is attached to her insides. Is this her stomach? A bug? I am really lost on this one. Any thoughts? Any solutions? Will she push it out on her own? I do not want to lose her, she is one of my best breeder females. I have never had or seen anything like this before. Her health is perfect and never had any problems with parasites, etc.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Emergency Help Please

Hi and welcome to the forum , Do you think you could post a pic? It may help but I think this may call for a trip to the Vet.

IThinkImAFrog

Hi,

I have attached two pictures. I appologize in advance for the graphic nature, but ye...I have removed her from her home and placed her in a sterilite tub with some paper towel for cleanliness. It is dark orange ...It has come out further then it was about 15-20 minutes ago. She is constantly lying on her belly and trying to push it out with her back legs.

A vet trip cannot happen as it is 11pm at night.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Leefrogs

ya, that's an impaction, probably a proclapse. There's great success with a vet making a repair. I would just get her in the water, get as much dirt off as possible. Change the water and put her in again. Then call for a vet right away in the morning.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

And I love your user name by the way.

IThinkImAFrog

It seems like she wants to pull it out, but having just read up on it, it seems like it may go back in on its own. Any suggestions? Or just leave her be in the sugar/water bath.

Thanks

Leefrogs

leave her be, try to get some rest. I've heard they go back in, but it may not. She may have twisted it, there may be a rock or something in there. There's allot going on. She could have another episode when laying eggs, or anytime she over eats....

Best to take her in in the morning.

IThinkImAFrog

Ahh persistance.

After bathing her, it shrunk almost immediately. I then left her for about 10 minutes and slowly pushed it with a q-tip. It easily slid back into her. She already seems happier. I will leave her quarantined for a week and see how she does. I know it wasn't a rock because she is on plantation soil, along with the rest of my MLFs...I've never had this problem, but after looking through her feces, it seems like there was quite a bit of the soil in it. I am now switching every frog over to papertowel. Sigh lots of work lol.

Thanks so much for the advice, will keep you posted.

Leefrogs

Aahh, that's good I guess. I would check to see if her anus looks tore or anything.

Scarey.

Best of luck

Socrates

A prolapse like that may indicate future issues. When an animal has that it's due to an anomaly or weakening of the muscles in that area. I would be careful with her, and would suggest to NOT breed her. It may lead to more problems and also possibly passing that trait on to other offspring. Glad to her she is better.

Thread Information