Thread: RIP Sammy :(

LIZZIE82

Default RIP Sammy :(

My red-eyed tree frog passed away. I'm so bummed.

I got him about a month ago. I noticed last Tuesday that he was starting to look a little "off." I took him to the vet on Wednesday. The little turd acted just fine! The vet said that he looked good. I took him back but I still had the feeling something wasn't right. He wasn't eating and would not respond to any food.

I took him out of his terranium on Saturday and put him in a kritter keeper. I tried desperately to find another vet (the one I had taken him to wasn't available...) but there wasn't any that was willing to treat him.. He would look ok at some points, climbing around the keeper, soaking and I just tried to leave him alone. I knew he wasn't well.

On Tuesday he looked so bad, I called the vets office and my vet was there. I was asking about getting him euthanized since I thought he was suffering. The vet didn't think he was and said that he could put him on an antibiotic. I went ahead and picked it up although I thought that it was too late. At least I would have it in case Isabel started to get sickly. I gave him one dose. That night, when I was going to bed I saw that he was trying to climb on his leaves and fell backward. His hands were clasped. I flipped him back over, put him in a dark room and left him alone. He was gone by mo rning.

I'm so sad. I really loved that little guy. He had such a personality! I'm really going to miss him. I really wish that I knew more about what to do for him when he was so sick. I also wish my vet didn't say "Yeah, I guess I should have given him antibiotics when you brought him in on Wednesday..." Yea, ya think? I told him he wasn't eating and there was something wrong. Anyways, that's the story of Sammy.

We buried him yesterday in the park near the bullfrogs. I made him a little coffin from a bracelet box. I crocheted him a little bed and blanket, too.

Here are some pics of him!

Pic 1: Sammy when I got him. He liked his bowl.
    Pic 2: When I noticed he wasn't well. He was up in the middle of the day and his coloring was really light.
    Pic 3: In his Kritter Keeper, I was hoping he was starting to look up. I thought he was going to die the night before but he climbed on the tree and was sleeping, I misted him and he opened his eyes and looked kinda good. He died 2 days later.
    Pic 4: His little coffin.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hyla

Default Re: RIP Sammy :(

I signed into the forum just so I could respond to your post. Im so sorry about your little friend, it sounds like you did everything you could for him. I know how frustrating it can be to try to understand what is going on and you feel helpless. Finding a good vet for frogs is difficult too unfortunately which may or may not have helped sammy. It would be so much easier if animals could just talk and tell you what they need! I hope your other frog stays healthy and happy.

clownonfire

Lizzie, how terribly sad, I'm so sorry. You seem to have done everything you could.

I have to agree with Krista, finding a good vet is not easy when it comes to frog, which is too bad.

Take good care,

Eric

bshmerlie

So sorry to hear about Sammy. I hope you give it sometime and then try it again.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Lizzie, Im so sorry Sammy didn't make it . Don't let this deter you from keeping frogs. Unfortunately this comes with having pets.

Thread Information