Thread: Baggy, the albino pacman frog, cannibalizes!

frogmike

Default Baggy, the albino pacman frog, cannibalizes!

Today my albino pacman frog emerged from the dirt to tell me he was hungry. Unfortunately, I was out of mice and crickets, so I decided to go looking in the yard for edible insects. I then spotted a small mouse sized toad hopping through the grass. I took him inside and placed him in Baggy's cage and then Baggy did what he did!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Toitle

Default Re: Baggy, the albino pacman frog, cannibalizes!

Awww! Baggy's so cute!

ibbigpapa

Quote Originally Posted by frogmike View Post
    Today my albino pacman frog emerged from the dirt to tell me he was hungry. Unfortunately, I was out of mice and crickets, so I decided to go looking in the yard for edible insects. I then spotted a small mouse sized toad hopping through the grass. I took him inside and placed him in Baggy's cage and then Baggy did what he did!
    Hello .that's a pretty awesome frog and pretty cool photo . I was just curious I've heard thing about some kinda algae frogs can get sick from . I don't know if they have to eat the algae it self or any thing that may be infected by it and I don't really know if that applies in the region your from. I hope not but if you have any info on that . Let me know thanks.

Toitle

Now that I think of it, it actually may be hazardous to your frog to feed it another wild frog. That frog could have a disease or parasites that get passed on to your beloved pacman frog.

And how do you find toads hopping around in your yard? I can't even find a bug in my yard.

ibbigpapa

That's what I was saying to but you articulated it better good job . Still what kinda algae do they get sick from do you know the name. Anyways its still is an awesome photo and frog for that fact . I just hope he doesn't get ill . Sorry for planting that scenario in your head just looking out. Thanks bye

frogmike

Cool Re: Baggy, the albino pacman frog, cannibalizes!

Tanks for the warning about sikness. If that toad had a disease, then I would hate to have chased him on a healthy day! I live in Alabama and though there are some wierd things that realy do happen sometimes, the nature is amazing. There are enough toads hoping around to become a perminate food suply for all my frogs.

ibbigpapa

I just would want to see anything bad happen to that toad. Its always better to be safe then sorry with things you love. But still that is a cool photo you should have youtubed it. Lol good luck bye

Leefrogs

Cytrid

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That is very cool and disturbing.

It's already been said, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it's really a bad decision to feed wild caught prey to captive animals. Cool frog though, nice photos.

Nationality
    [United States]

Neat pictures. I have been tempted more than once to grab an anole off my fence and let my Pacman Frog unleash his furry, but this would be a bad idea. Aside from any kind of poisonous algae, just about everything living in the wild has parasites. On top of that, many animals in "people areas" have come in contact with pesticides or chemicals that will certainly harm your Pacman Frog.

My view, there is a reason that Pacman Frogs only live 1-4 years in the wild.

pyxieBob

I aggree. 100% abt it being very VERY risky to feed your frog anything wild. Esp other frogs or toads. Even grass hoppers are filled w pesticides earthworms found in your dirt are more than likely safe. Never feed your frog worms from a bait shop EVER, fyi.... Awesome albino.

frogmike

That was the only thing that Baggy had eaten in over 3.5 months. He won't strike anything that I offer. If he gets sick from that then he will die happy. Though I don't see that happening. Besides, pacman frogs are designed to eat anything that moves. That includes the parasites that are in their food. They're from South America for god's sake, their stomach should handle anything! The mice at Petco look like hell most of the time any way.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    Never feed your frog worms from a bait shop EVER, fyi....
    I wonder why. I understand that baitshops often don't have similar worm-maintanence, but I have always heard Walmart's worms are pesticide and parasite free. You can ask many people on this site, including, I think, John. They will tell you that they have fed their frogs Walmart earthworms for years and not had any problems. Is that bad, because Malcolm occasionally eats Walmart earthworms (aka Canadian Nightcrawlers)?

Quote Originally Posted by frogmike View Post
    That was the only thing that Baggy had eaten in over 3.5 months. He won't strike anything that I offer. If he gets sick from that then he will die happy. Though I don't see that happening. Besides, pacman frogs are designed to eat anything that moves. That includes the parasites that are in their food. They're from South America for god's sake, their stomach should handle anything! The mice at Petco look like hell most of the time any way.
    I think I have said this before..."There is a reason why Pacman Frogs only live 1 to 4 years in the wild". Yep. That isn't a long time for a pet. I guess maybe if there was no other food that he'd eat, but I don't know.....

btw, PetCo mice typically haven't ever come into contact with parasites or pesticides. just saying. Will your eat a frog but not a mouse?

frogmike

Baggy's str8. He has nearly starved to death from refusing to eat this whole year. I've tried everything, maybe this will get him to start eating again. no more wild creatures for him though.

Thread Information