Thread: BBWT leg injury/infection

Default BBWT leg injury/infection

I bought two bumble bee walking toads at the reptile expo in Hamburg a week and a half ago. I have since noticed a spot that looks somewhat raw on his right rear leg joint. It looks like an indentation covered by clear goopy liquid, and he is quick to move away if I come close to touching it.

I am having a really hard time getting a picture of it, as its a tiny spot on a tiny toad. However I have a buddy stopping by this evening with a serious camera, and hopefully I can get something that is visible.

That being said does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The spot was there when I got him but it was much smaller and I thought it was a drop of water or something.

I have separated him from the other toad in case whatever it is, is contagious

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wormwood

Default Re: BBWT leg injury/infection

Probally red leg, and it's almost always fatal.

I just lost a toad to it actually, tried keeping it quaratined and putting neosporin on it. Nothing seemed to work, it's fast spreading. Try to keep it comfortable and it's cage clean but if it starts to have problems moving around I'd put it down as the diease is really nasty and looks like it causes untold pain to frogs and toads.

Good luck.

Ok, it's not very good, but here is the best picture I have been able to get of my BBWT's leg. Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

clownonfire

You might want to put some Polysporin/Neosporin without Pain killer (pain killer will kill your frog). It looks like an infection. The topical cream is an antibiotic.

But I suggest you see a vet to make sure this is well diagnosed. You may also want to write our moderator Kurt. He might be able to help you more.

Eric

Thanks (to both of you) for the insight/advice, I'm still trying to get by buddy over here with his camera!

It had not moved in 3-4 days, it was just hiding out under a rock. I took him out just now and it looks a lot better! I can still see a small indent on its leg but it does not look raw anymore and there is no fluid.

So hopefully whatever it was is gone, but we shall see. I will update with better pics hopefully tonight.

clownonfire

He might be hiding because of the infection. But BBWT will usually hide when the environment in the tank is not ideal. They are not as bold as dart, that's for sure, and are a bit shy. But hiding can be a sign that you the tank needs a few adjustment.

I don't know how your tank is, but.... Not too humid, 65-75%. Warm, lots of leafage, dry substrate, and a nice bowl of water for the toad to soak in.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    He might be hiding because of the infection. But BBWT will usually hide when the environment in the tank is not ideal. They are not as bold as dart, that's for sure, and are a bit shy. But hiding can be a sign that you the tank needs a few adjustment.

I don't know how your tank is, but.... Not too humid, 65-75%. Warm, lots of leafage, dry substrate, and a nice bowl of water for the toad to soak in.

Eric
    You're probably right about the terrarium setup. These are my first toads, they are each in a 5.5 gallon with the eco-earth substrate, a dish for soaking and a bromilliad surrounded by moss. The healthy toad has a bark hiding structure, and the "sick" toad has a rock for hiding. There is also another small live plant in with the healthy toad and a patch of moss in with the "sick" toad.

Sounds like I need more plants and maybe an under tank heater? Currently the only heat source is a light which keeps it 77-80 degrees during the day, dropping down to about 68-70 degrees at night.

could you recommend a better substrate? The brick packed eco earth that I am using is not soaking wet, but I wouldn't call it dry either.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    could you recommend a better substrate? The brick packed eco earth that I am using is not soaking wet, but I wouldn't call it dry either.
    Have you read Seth's BBWT article on our site? It is very useful.

Quoting from it: The ideal range seems to be 21-27 °C (70-80 ° F). Occasional temperatures into the low 30s °C (low 90s °F), or down to about 7 °C (mid-forties Fahrenheit) have not been harmful to my specimens, though the toads are not very active at these times. I maintain the humidity at 60-80% the majority of the time, as they are less active and hide when it gets much higher or lower.

Let me know if you have more question. It,s ok if you are new to it, you're asking the right questions and moving froward, which is great!

Eric

Eric Walker

I would say no need for the under tank heater. these guy will burrow a bit and you dont want them getting down to where the heater is touching the tank. plus they can handle the colder temps just fine.

You also dont want that substrate soaking wet. These toads prefer it a bit dryer and that could have been the source for an inferction if they were kepted to wet before you got them. one or two of my toads allways hide as well and are perfectly fine.

I have mine on a eco earth substrate as well but I have sphagnum moss covering half of the floor. This gives them one side that is dryer and that they can dig in and one side that is the side I spray ( the side covered in moss) so if they want they can sit on some damp moss. My vent. is also over the side without the moss.

Update:

Seems as if all is well! The toad's leg looks completely normal now and I have put him back in with the other.

I re-constructed the terrarium with 2 small bromeliads, another live plant, and a big bushy patch of moss. One seems to like the leaves of the bromeliad when there is not food in the terrarium, and the other seems to like the cork hideout I constructed. They are both very active when food is present!

13. This member thanks Tripe46 for this post:

froggystyle

Red face Re: BBWT leg injury/infection

Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    Update:

Seems as if all is well! The toad's leg looks completely normal now and I have put him back in with the other.

I re-constructed the terrarium with 2 small bromeliads, another live plant, and a big bushy patch of moss. One seems to like the leaves of the bromeliad when there is not food in the terrarium, and the other seems to like the cork hideout I constructed. They are both very active when food is present!
    I'm so happy to hear that! I notice they like to climb plants but maybe I should researh the plants I'm using. My BBWTs seem to like the live Scotch moss and Irish moss. The fruit flies hide in it also its a great hunting ground it seems to keep them busy. I've been spraying the flies with a vitamin spray hoping the toads get big and strong because I fear them getting injured too. They seem so fragile so I'm really glad to hear that yours healed

Thread Information