Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick red-eyed tree frog?

sepgundamrg

Exclamation Sick red-eyed tree frog?

Hi this is my first time posting here and unfortunately its over a possible medical problem. I have a pair of red-eye tree frogs and unfortunately one of them looks like it may be ill. It is the smaller of the 2 frogs and while I haven't had any trouble with him before he now looks like his colors are off. It is very noticeable when he is trying to hide at night so his main pigment is dark green. When he is dark green parts of his back and his back legs are still blotched light green. I have looked at him(assumed gender) closely and the areas are not raised like other disease descriptions, but it just doesn't look right. I do know this has onyl started recently and is not his normal coloration, he also looks thin and will be transferred to his own tank for feeding. Do you guys think he is sick and in need of a vet? I really hope he is doing ok and will not need medical attention, if it helps, he normally site on a leaf that is molted dark green and light green. I can't remember the plant name but I got it from Petco as a potted terrarium plant.

If needed I can provide pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick red-eyed tree frog?

Hi, welcome to the forum. It's difficult to judge from the description. Is he eating normally for you? Appetite changes are probably the best indicator of the health of a frog. A photo of him would probably help too. Hopefully Kurt can give you some expert info - he keeps and breeds this species.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

sepgundamrg

Not sure about his eating habits as they never eat in front of me, but he does look pretty thin. Here are a few photos of him, sry for them being blurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Kurt; September 8th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Tingleysweet

i do not own any red eyed because i have heard numerous times there very prone to sickness and get ill very easily.. they are beautiful but i guess this is one species that belongs in nature. find an exotic vet close by and bring him.. he looks very skinny.. i would try a variety of things for him to eat.. soon if he stays healthy he will eat infront of you.. mine took a while but now when we do a cricket drop they attack them .. good luck i hope all goes well

Kurt

Hi,
    Welcome aboard. As John said I keep and brred this species. To see them eat in front of you is a rare event. They will only eat after dark. On occasion I have been able to see them feeding in dim light.
    I have a few years of experience with this species and I have never seen anything like this condition your frog has. I would seperate it from the other frogs, that way you can see if it is feeding.
    Just put one or two crickets in at a time. That will make it easier for you to monitor the situation better. Remember to provide water. I made a mistake many, many years ago with my very first red-eye. I put it into a little critter keeper over night to see if was eating, but I did not provide it with water. I put in two crickets, it at least ate one, but before it ate the other it died of dehydration. Lesson being red-eyes can't survive long without access to water. I once forgot my two White's in a Rubbermaid overnight and they were fine. You can't do that with a red-eye.
    It would be a good idea to see a qualified vet as soon as possible. Has there been any abnomal behavior? An skin sloughing?

sepgundamrg

Nope, no abnormal behavior other then it being skinny and having green splotches on its legs. I guess I will just keep a super close eye on it and take it to the vet when I get paid... Probly won't be able to afford a vet visit but I would have to lose my little guy, had him about 18 months now...

sepgundamrg

I got him into a hospital tank thats pretty bare, he has a nice cricket proof water dish and 3 crickets to stalk. He was in his bright green jacket when I got home because the light was on, but the spots are barely visible. I hope that after he eats he will look normal in the mornin.

Kurt

If the crickets are good by morning that will be a good sign.

sepgundamrg

Crickets are gone, and I can't see the green splotches on him, I will keep him in the hospital tank for another night before I put him back in with the others.

Kurt

Ok. Maybe its case of stress or maybe one of his roommates peed on him. I would keep seperate for 3 days or so, just for observation

sepgundamrg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Ok. Maybe its case of stress or maybe one of his roommates peed on him. I would keep seperate for 3 days or so, just for observation
    you think he got peed on?

Kurt

Its possible. I remember many years back at a reptile show there was a ten-gallon tank at one of the vendor's tables. It was filled with red-eyed leaf froglets and one of them had some discoloration. The vendor said one of the other frogs had peed on him. Of course in all the years I have kept red-eyes and other frogs, I have never seen this in my own collection. So who knows?

sepgundamrg

Ah, so maybe I'm just lucky/unlucky lol. He seems perked up which is probly because he got to eat. Hopefully in 2 days he can go back in the house.

Wolst21LT

I have two red eyed tree frogs with a compact fluorescent light strip,(gives off a whitish light instead of normal)and sometimes when they sit to close to it it discolors them a little bit. This obviously isnt what your frog had, but its just something to keep in mind.(if you have a similar light)

Greatwtehunter

Can you describe your setup? It sounds like maybe there was too much moisture and not enough ventilation.

sepgundamrg

Just got home from work and he is still splotchy now that his skin is darker.

My set-up is a large exo-terra upright terrarium, I can't remember what size it is but it was roughly 200 dollars when I got it around Christmas time, it was the 2nd largest available by them, the largest I could find in stores. The humidity fluctuates between 80 and 50% as the day goes on, but normally around 70%. The tank has a screen top and front opening doors with vents under the doors. The substrate is 30% leaf litter, 30% soil, and 30% coconut fiber. The bed is about 3-4 inches deep, with a 2 in drainage layer of large pebbles separated from the upper layer with window screening.

The tank is heavily planted with miscellaneous tropical plants and bromeliads.

Oh the temperature is around 75 degrees at any given time.

That's an old picture, the plants are thicker now and the brom isn't blooming but has 2 daughter plants that are half its size. The green tree frog in the picture is living happily in my backyard, but the brown tree frog still lives with me in my room.

Edit: tank is roughly 33 us. gallons, 24in tall, 18wide, 18deep
    Last edited by sepgundamrg; September 8th, 2009 at 06:46 AM.

Kurt

You know I hadn't even thought of ventilation. D'oh! Good ventilation is critical with treefrogs. Is the top of the enclosure glass or is it mesh?

sepgundamrg

Quote Originally Posted by sepgundamrg View Post
    The tank has a screen top and front opening doors with vents under the doors.
    its a type of mesh

Kurt

That should provide enough ventilation.

sepgundamrg

Ok, so I guess no progress on finding out whats wrong with him. At least I'm housing them properly I guess.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information