Thread: My frogs not eating?

huntin0

Default My frogs not eating?

the cricket was actuly sitting on her head to stay out of the water. i bought her because there supposed to be such agressive eaters and she doesnt want anything to do with food.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My frogs not eating?

Pacman Frogs usually take afew days/weeks to fully adapt, but if this has been going on for more than 3 weeks, than there is probably something wrong.

Pacman Frogs kept in proper conditions are usually verocious eaters. I have mentioned that I do not agree with a full water/gravel setup because it can cause some major, major health issues very early on, and the fact that not being able to burrow is going to stress your Pacman Frog to madness. Pacman Frogs do not swim, and living in water 24/7 is not Ok for them also because it just really freaks them out.

You need to go get some Eco Earth Coco Fiber at your nearest Petsmart/PETCO/other local establishment. You can honestly cause major health problems to your Pacman by not doing so. In damp, but not soaked cocofiber, they can burrow, stay hidrated, and you can maintain humidity levels well. If you do not prefer this method of Pacman Frog care, I strongly advise that you re-home your Pacman Frog to an environment where it can be properly taken care of. I am in no way trying to be rude or ugly, I just wouldn't want to see a Pacman Frog suffer and die when it can still be prevented.

Also, like I said in your other thread, temperatures are important for diegestion. If your temps are below 78*F in the daytime, than this is a probably a big reason your Pacman Frog isn't eating. You can purchase a 4-8W heat pad for a 10 gallon tank (if that is what you are housing your Pacman Frog in) to keep the temps up, but DO NOT use an under tank heater with the water on gravel setup because heated wet glass will shatter, crack, and break.

If you find yourself not able to care for your Pacman Frog, you may not need to give up frogs yet. If you like fat, aquatic (as Pacman Frogs are not), veriocious eating frog, you can look into African Clawed Frog, Budgett's Frog, and if you want something that will need to be housed partially on eco-earth, but partially aquatic, Pyxie Frogs (aka African Bull Frogs) are awesome!

I am not trying to discourage you, I just want you to do what is right for your Pacman Frog. I really hope this helps!

MeTree,

(edit: Gravel can cause impaction and kill your Pacman Frog, that is another thing I accidently left out)

huntin0

Thanks for all the help. all the advice has been helpful, my frog hasnt burrowed since the first week of coming home. I seem to be having a hard time keeping the tempature up but not have my humidity levels too high. I didnt go with the grave/water setup. I realy just dont know what to do, i dont wanna give up on my pacman but its a pain in the butt.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Oh, I am sorry, I thought you had a gravel/water setup. Whoops.

Do you know what your temps are? It could be a matter of life or death for your Pacman Frog if your temps are too low too long. It also may send the little guy into a partial "hibernation".

I find when I handle Malcolm everyday, he stops eating for abit. If you are constantly trying to stuff food into your Pacman Frog's mouth (that was me LOL), then maybe you should give your Pacman Frog a break for a day or 2.

Also, I find that my Pacman Frog is obsessed with Waxworms. Malcolm has only gobbled down 1 because they are sooo high in fat, but your Pacman Frog hasn't eaten in awhile. A bright colored wiggly worm may be just the thing to interest your Pacman Frog in food. Just drop it in the tank (assuming you have a damp, but not soaked substrate) next to your Pacman Frog after letting the Waxworm "warm up" from out of the fridge (as they are cold-blooded. They will slowly get their energy and ability to move shortly after removing them from the fridge). Try not to hit the cage (tank) or make alot of noise or motion. If you don't spook your Pacman Frog, you may find the wiggly worm eaten in a matter of seconds (or minutes if you are patient).

I get that buying 50 Waxworms when you only intend on feeding 2 or 3 is abit overkill, but it may be the thing to get your Pacman Frog eating again.

Mealworms is another option, but likewise, be careful not to feed them alot because they have an un-digestable exoskeleton that can cause issues if too many worms are eaten (only 2 or 3 a week, I'd say). Malcolm likes mealworms also.

One more worm option (you see why I have over 200 worms in my house). You can get Night Crawlers at Walmart for bait. They are supposedly parasite free, and many members on this forum will tell you that they have fed their frogs Walmart earthworms for years and not had problems. Malcolm will eat the Night Crawlers if I break them into small pieces and coat them with Calcium or Multi-vitamin.

Just some suggestions. I really hope your Pacman Frog gets to eating again!

Thread Information