Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this site

ApxWingman

Default New to this site

Hey

I just found this site after looking up for some active forums on frogs. I am fairly new to this, I have never owned any frogs before. I am currently in the processing of building my first tank for a Whites Tree Frog. I hear these frogs are the easiest to take care of, especially for beginners. So I decided I would start with this, so that if I do make any mistakes it will be more forgivable then a more delicate species.

My tank is currently a 20 gallon tank that I got online for a very cheap price. So far I have used eggcrate to make a false bottom, covered with a matting to stop the soil from falling into the water. I have used great stuff expanding foam to secure it to the back of the take to provide something to climb on. I also have a large rock that for climbing as well, and I found a fake log with fake plants on it that has also been mounted for climbing surfaces.

For a water feature I was able to get a waterfall kit online as well for cheap, that comes with a pump. I have put that in the tank along with other rocks in the water, as I know these frogs are not the best of swimmers so I do not want to have the chance of him dying in the water. I am currently waiting for the great stuff to cure before I continue to shape the background and proceed with using GE Silicone II and cocofiber for the background. From there I will then add the substrate and water.

After the tank is complete I am going to let it run for atleast a week before I get my frog to make sure everything is running smoothly with the temperature and humidity. I want to make sure its running perfectly before I get him to make it easier on me to get it fixed without him being in the way.

This is only a practice tank until I receive my 90gallon tank from my girlfriends uncle (free!). I plan to spend a lot more time perfecting this tank as I plan to have a large enough area for some fish as well as a couple frogs. I know these guys will eat the fish so I am figuring out a way to keep them separate.I do have pictures that I will be posting of my progress as soon as I get them uploading to my computer.

clownonfire

Default Re: New to this site

Hi! Welcome to Frog Forum, and it's great to have a fellow Canadian here. Do you have any pics of your viv and frog?

ApxWingman

Yea I am not finding many Canadians on other forums that are active. Having a hard time finding out where to buy frogs here in Canada and the Toronto area. I do have pics of my viv, but I need to upload the pics first. No frog yet, until after I am done building the viv.

clownonfire

For buying frogs, and depending on what species you are looking for, there's Understory Enterprises. It's been a love story so far...

ApxWingman

thanks alot, very good site. Finally somewhere that ships in Canada!

ApxWingman

So here is the pictures of my current build. (sorry for the bad pics, they were taken with my phone, until I can find my camera charger.

I finished the background yesterday. Today I tipped the tank upside to let all the loose dirt fall off the background and reveal any spots I may have missed. I then used more silicone to fix the spots that I missed and put more of the dirt on the background. Tomorrow, after it has cured, I will be then adding the substrate and water. From here I will be monitoring the temp/humidity for a couple days to ensure everything is running smoothly. So I should have my frog in about a weeks time

clownonfire

It's hard work, isn't it? But how rewarding it is, too!

ApxWingman

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    It's hard work, isn't it? But how rewarding it is, too!
    Yea, a lot of planning. I spent weeks with the tank just looking at it and drawing out different setups that I could use that would work. I actually already made a setup with this tank, had it all done, but did not like how the background was done, I made it too big where it was actually taking up the land area, so I tore that down and did this. So far I am really happy with how it is setup. Hopefully everything else goes smoothly from here on. I will be getting my screen for the top of the tank this week as well and then I should be done everything once I get the waterfall and fogger put in the tank.

I have actually been e-mailing someone about a Cuban Tree Frog. Getting rid of it for $10 only 8 months old and very healthy. I did some reading and I don't see much difference for care with these frogs as the whites tree frog (what I had planned on getting). So this is what I will be getting once I am done.

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this

ApxWingman

So I got some time today and finally finished my tank (will post pictures soon). I have had it running for about 4 hours now. I have a screen cover on the top and have about 75% of it with plastic wrap around it to help with humidity. It is sitting around 90% at a temp of 71 F.

I added rocks to the water area so he will have a spot to soak in. Filled it up with water and on the land side, I used moss as the substrate. I have the waterfall working smoothly and the fogger is getting a nice layer of fog,

I am going to need to find something to raise the temp of it as I believe 71F is a little too low for these frogs

ApxWingman

got a question about the glass. I tried searching "cleaning glass" and nothing came up. So I apologize if this is a repeat question. I have had my tank done for a couple days now, and I have a fogger that sits in the water to create the fog, and plastic wrap over part of the screen top to help keep humidity in, because of this I am getting fogged up sides. What's the best way to deal with this? I have been taking paper towel and wiping the glass to clear it up, but that will only work so much. Is there something better to help keep it gone?

ApxWingman

Here is what it looks like. I should be getting the frog this week. I will be getting a Cuban Tree Frog. I will need to raise the temp just a little bit so I am going to buy a small light to go over top (clips to the actually tank) just to bring it as well as get a light for at night. It is hard to see what's going on in there with no lights.

Sorry for the bad pics, again it was taken with my cell phone.

clownonfire

Here's some feedback. Your tank looks great... However, it is not the perfect environment for a Cuban tree frog.... Tree frogs, well, you might have guessed it, like tall vertical tanks... Think tree... They like to climb, and be high. You have leafage which is great, but it's somewhat on the short vertical side. These frogs do love to climb...

Humidity... 90% humidity is way too high for a Cuban tree frog. This is dart frogs realm.... They can take that much humidity, but will be happier with less. Try 75%.

Water.... These frogs don't like swimming so much.... Actually, they don't swim. A small bowl of water would be better. It's all that is required and there will be less chance of drowning...

Also... Cuban tree frog: nocturnal. A kitchen wouldn't be the best place to put their tank. Try and find a place where there will be less human traffic, more darkness, more privacy. They need to sleep during daytime....

So here it is... I know it's a lot, but I wouldn't want you to lose your new friend...

Eric

clownonfire

Looking at your tank, fire-bellied toads would be much happier in there... And they are very active during daytime. And they are very easy to take care of...

Eric

ApxWingman

Here's some feedback. Your tank looks great... However, it is not the perfect environment for a Cuban tree frog.... Tree frogs, well, you might have guessed it, like tall vertical tanks... Think tree... They like to climb, and be high. You have leafage which is great, but it's somewhat on the short vertical side. These frogs do love to climb...

Humidity... 90% humidity is way too high for a Cuban tree frog. This is dart frogs realm.... They can take that much humidity, but will be happier with less. Try 75%.

Water.... These frogs don't like swimming so much.... Actually, they don't swim. A small bowl of water would be better. It's all that is required and there will be less chance of drowning...

Also... Cuban tree frog: nocturnal. A kitchen wouldn't be the best place to put their tank. Try and find a place where there will be less human traffic, more darkness, more privacy. They need to sleep during daytime....

So here it is... I know it's a lot, but I wouldn't want you to lose your new friend...

Eric
    I appreciate all the feedback, as I am new to this. What other kind of frogs may enjoy this setup other than a FBT? The tank is not staying in the kitchen, this is only a temp setup, the tank will be going into a spare room that no one really goes into except if we have company that needs a room to crash in.

I put in large rocks so there would be no chance of drowning. I made it so it is large enough for him to sit in and soak in. I did not want to add a water dish, because I want it to look as natural as possible, this is why I went with a water feature, and to bring up humidity.
    Would dart frogs work in this setup?

clownonfire

I know you are new to this and this is why you are here. You want to do the best for your future frog and I really appreciate this!... And you will find the perfect inhabitant.

Darts technically could live in this, but too much water again.

You know, Vietnamese Mossy frogs could be good... With a few adjustments.... Google it!

They are very aquatic...

Eric

ApxWingman

I might look into dart frogs then, like I said I did make it so the water is not very deep, and since the dart frogs are smaller I can add more into the tank so that they will not drown. What would be a good dart frog for a beginner? What about a green tree frog? The reason I ask this is because it is much smaller than a Cuban Tree frog, and the areas that I have provided should be ok for climbing, if this will work I will be adding a couple more branches for him to climb onto

thanks again

clownonfire

Dart frogs are small, but don't be fooled by their size. They need lots of space. And much much less water. Mostly wet ground. And you need to culture fruit flies if you keep darts.... And different plants than what you have, although technically they would do. I have a feeling at this point, and I could be wrong, that dart frogs are not the right fit. They require more attention. I own a few, they are my favorite ones, but they are the ones I work the most for.

As for green tree frogs, even if they are smaller, the tank is wrong for basically all the same reasons as your Cuban tree frog... Tree frogs: tree, height, branches, nocturnal, vertical tanks.

Eric

ApxWingman

alright, well being a beginner I will not get a dart frog until I become a bit more familiar and when I get my bigger tank (90g). I may end up with just getting FBT as it seems to be a better fit to what I have with some adjustments, and of course moving the tank to a different room in the house

clownonfire

I must say that I am quite impressed with the way you are handling all of this and taking this information. I am very passionate about frogs and would give them the utmost care they deserve. And it always makes me happy when newcomers are eager to learn and make sure they get everything right for their frogs. Kudos to you on this...

Eric

ApxWingman

I must say that I am quite impressed with the way you are handling all of this and taking this information. I am very passionate about frogs and would give them the utmost care they deserve. And it always makes me happy when newcomers are eager to learn and make sure they get everything right for their frogs. Kudos to you on this...

Eric
    Thanks, I love animals and have always wanted to make a tank like this, and will be making something bigger. I just never had a place to put it until I got my own place. I am very grateful for all the help and information, like you said that's why I am here. I don't want to make the wrong setup for an animal and then have him die because I didn't do it properly.

After doing some quick searching online I think that I will end up getting FBTs. Since I have a large enough tank, I think I will end up with getting 2 FBTs. What should I change to make this more suitable for them? Since I already have this up and running, I would like to make it more suitable without having to make MAJOR changes to the current setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information