Thread: New Pixie

JeffX

Default New Pixie

These guys are kind of hard to find. I didn't think Petsmart would have one, but I called and they did. I don't think they really wanted him or her there either. They had named it Cujo, because I guess it kept going for people's fingers. I got it settled in now, and didn't have any issues eating either. It polished off 25 large crickets and some superworms this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pixie

Hi Jeffx, It great he's eating and settled in well. he looks very staunch.

Jace

Gorgeous looking! Are you keeping the name Cujo? My boy recently got himself wedged underneath his water dish and the side of the tank-you could almost hear the sigh of relief when I lifted the dish off. I should have called him Mole! Best of luck with your new friend.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX View Post
    These guys are kind of hard to find.
    They are? I find them quite easy to find actually. They are very common around here.

Kevin1

on kingsnake.com the only people selling them are big apple and that's all I've seen of them for sale. I wish I could find one locally though.
    Good luck with your new pyxie. One thing they're never short of is an appetite.

JeffX

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They are? I find them quite easy to find actually. They are very common around here.
    I talked to several local shops and no one had any they could order. One guy said he hadn't seen one his order form for a year. I couldn't even find one online. I called lllreptile and they sold out the day I called, and Big Apple said they thought they were going to get some but they didn't.

I don't know about the name. I've been in and out of that cage changing the water several times a day, and I haven't had any issues. I do have one question though. Since these guys tend to burrow, should I even bother with a hiding spot? I have one of those half piece of logs in his cage right now, but if it's not needed I can take it out, and he'll have more room to walk around.

Kurt

You can try NERD or Regal. They might have them.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nice frog - congratulations. Looks like a possible male too. How big is he?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

I put a hide in my tank when I first got mine, but he ignored it. They do tend to dig themselves down a bit, or under things. As long as you have enough substrate for him, I wouldn't even bother with a hide.

Douglas

A hide is optional as long as there is enough room to burrow. I prefer hiding places, however, because the frog seems less stressed.

From the pics shown, it looks like you have a male. As it gets older and we have more pics it will be easier to tell for sure.

JeffX

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Nice frog - congratulations. Looks like a possible male too. How big is he?
    I'm just estimating, but he looks like about 3 inches wide if not a bit more, but I'm just estimating. I should have measured him when I first got him, but I figured the car ride home, and getting moved was enough stress.

I took out the hiding spot for now. He's all burrowed underneath the soil which is a few inches deep.

Thread Information