Thread: Temporary Set-ups for Moving

Default Temporary Set-ups for Moving

I apologize for posting, but...I have some questions.

I'm planning a big move this month. It's about 1400 miles. And I'm wondering what is the best way to move my frogs. I know that people ship frogs in small containers with damp paper towels and that works well. But I'm like at a 2-3 day drive, and there's a chance I may have to stay at a temporary place until I actually find an apartment. I thought it might be possible to get critter totes for each kind of frog and put a couple inches of dirt, and then put the critter totes in an open box.

Any and all suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, I will be moving to an area that gets bitterly, bitterly cold, so all advice on how to keep my frogs warm is really appreciated.
    0.0.1 Polypedates Leucomystax
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor
    0.0.1 Pyxicephalus Adspersus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rocko

Default Re: Temporary Set-ups for Moving

The critter totes work great, but i think you are better off with the paper towels than dirt (you never know what will go on while moving, plus they can be easily disposed of and replaced). Put a small water dish in each so they have something to soak and which can be changed easily. Some kind of cover area would probably also be appreciated as the move will certainly be stressful. As it is approaching summer, are you dealing with the bitter cold during the move or only perhaps next fall?

Leefrogs

Just had an idea bout moving. Set up a 25 or 50 gal with cardboard dividers and moss. Thick like tripple wall cardboard. I don't know how many frogs you have. But it could work for 4/5 days. Better than a Dixie cup and cheeper than buying 5 5 gallon critter keepers. Maybe 3 in a 25, 5 in a 50?

Eric Walker

I think your best bet would be to use stearlite sweater boxes for them , and I agree with the paper towles over dirt ( its just like putting them into quarenteen ). People travle to show all the time with frogs for sale, and sometimes spend 5 maby even 6 days travleing with them. I myself have picked up frogs at shows and had plans to stay a few extra days after purchaseing them. I allways brought an extra plug in heater ( for when we were in a hotel room ) in the winter and picked up multiple 12 hour hand warmers like the kind you can find at menards. these can be taped to the side of a sweaterbox to provide a bit of direct heat if it was really that cold.

I already have 2 or 3 critter totes. But I also have six different species and I have five White's. But I have heard paper towels from several people, so that seems the way to go.

It is currently in the 40's there, which I consider bitterly cold. But I meant in the winter.
    0.0.1 Polypedates Leucomystax
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor
    0.0.1 Pyxicephalus Adspersus

Thread Information