Thread: Proper Feeding

nickc

Default Proper Feeding

Hey guys

I was wondering what is the right amount of insects to feed a baby african bullfrog around 1 1/2". It eats about 8 crickets within 10 minutes with no problem. Is that too much as I dont want to overfeed?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

malepyxiefrog

Default Re: Proper Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by nickc View Post
    Hey guys

I was wondering what is the right amount of insects to feed a baby african bullfrog around 1 1/2". It eats about 8 crickets within 10 minutes with no problem. Is that too much as I dont want to overfeed?

Thanks
    Nope feed as much as it wants until he doesn't seem to go after the insects anymore.

nickc

Thanks

Also do you have any recommendations for other feeders at this size?

So far its been just crickets, silkworms, and superworms.

personally i think you can feed these balloons with mouths as much as you want in one feeding ust if you feed mores then 150 grams of food you have to give them a break in a day or 2
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Jeff Kennedy

I'm going to disagree with the other guys a bit. If you are going to "power feed" when they are babies, then you absolutely have to be positive that they have access to fresh water at all times as well as temps in the mid 80's during the day to help aid in digestion. Overeating is the number 1 killer with Pyxie froglets and I have seen it happen where they can't digest the food quick enough and it begins to rot inside of them. The bacteria causes them to bloat and die. When we were doing our study on the Pyxie, we did "power feed". We made sure of the two things I mentioned above as well as exercised a 2 day on, 1 day off feeding cycle. The day off which we referred to as "poop day" was there to allow time for the froglet to digest and rid himself of all the waste. Hope this helps!!

nickc

^ Thanks for the insight

My frog always has a large container of water and high temperatures.

He definitely disposes of his waste, sometimes twice a day. Is that normal?

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by nickc View Post
    ^ Thanks for the insight

My frog always has a large container of water and high temperatures.

He definitely disposes of his waste, sometimes twice a day. Is that normal?
    yep when the tempratures are right and there getting plenty food twice is normal it was with my last 3 juveys anyway,

cheers spencer.............

excactly wat john said is good
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
    I'm going to disagree with the other guys a bit. If you are going to "power feed" when they are babies, then you absolutely have to be positive that they have access to fresh water at all times as well as temps in the mid 80's during the day to help aid in digestion. Overeating is the number 1 killer with Pyxie froglets and I have seen it happen where they can't digest the food quick enough and it begins to rot inside of them. The bacteria causes them to bloat and die. When we were doing our study on the Pyxie, we did "power feed". We made sure of the two things I mentioned above as well as exercised a 2 day on, 1 day off feeding cycle. The day off which we referred to as "poop day" was there to allow time for the froglet to digest and rid himself of all the waste. Hope this helps!!
    I agree here. While it's true wild juveniles gorge themselves, people don't realize that in nature they have more conditions to choose from to aid in digestion, more than we ever provide in captivity. If your going to feed a lot then you must provide conditions to support that. That's the great thing about being a herp they can control their metabolism but only to the extent of the choices available to them.

Thread Information