Thread: Mineral deposit problem???!!!

doctrin13th

Unhappy Mineral deposit problem???!!!

My C. cranwelli's housing is a 15 gallon glass tank with live indoor plants and coco peat as substrate. I have to mist the enclosure regularly for the frog and for the plants.
    But it is impossible to avoid misting the glass.

The problem is when the moisture on the glass evaporates, it leaves white mineral deposits.

I was once told to use de-chlorinated water to prevent that so I did what's instructed
    But the problem persists.

How can I remove the stains? Better yet, how to prevent it?

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Mineral deposit problem???!!!

vinager on a at should wipe stains out. And if you use distilled water this will eliminate stains. Distilled has no minerals at all. Avoid spraying you frog diectly as it will pull minerals from your animal

Dechlorinated water will still have minerals in it. You can mist with distilled water, it will leave no deposits (virtually none anyways, depends on how pure it is). Distilled water shouldn't be your frogs only water source though.

You can clean off the deposits with just normal water and a paper towel and some elbow grease if they haven't accumulated too much. Be sure to dry thoroughly with a paper towel after if you are cleaning with water that has minerals. If you have a heavy accumulation, you can use a flat razor blade from a hardware store. The deposits scrape off fairly easily with a razor, be sure not to get too close to the silicone holding the tank together it will come off easily with a razor as well. (don't get too close to the frog with the razor either)

If you want to keep misting with your dechlorinated water, drying the glass with a paper towel right after will really cut back on the deposits. Just drying it down after misting every few days will greatly reduce the mineral deposits as well.

doctrin13th

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Dechlorinated water will still have minerals in it. You can mist with distilled water, it will leave no deposits (virtually none anyways, depends on how pure it is). Distilled water shouldn't be your frogs only water source though.
    What's the other source?

What water type do I have to use in misting that does not require to be dried by paper towel?

You can keep a shallow dish of your dechlorinated water for the frog to soak in. You can also water the plants and substrate with your dechlorinated water (pour it directly near the base of the plant).

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Perhaps a bit of a necropost, but since it works I'll post it anyway:

I just use a lemon to get rid of it. Just cut it in half and rub it against the glass. Make sure to get rid of all the lemonstuff afterward, with a wet towel. Then just wipe the glass with a dry tovell, to get rid of the water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Distilled water is what you want for misting. If you have a lot of tanks to mist they you could possibly invest in a RO/DI system for larger amounts of water needs. At my local Walmart distilled water is about 84 cents a gallon. It can add up. Here is an article on water written by John our forum administrator. Just scroll down to you find it in one of the replies.

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html

Quote Originally Posted by doctrin13th View Post
    What's the other source?

What water type do I have to use in misting that does not require to be dried by paper towel?
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Thread Information