Thread: Need some advice

PiercePierceBinks

Default Need some advice

Man I've posted three topics all about me wanting advice, just sad.
    Recently I purchased a 33gal viv, and have my WTF, Chooch, in it.
    I want to get another frog, but Im very nervous about it.
    Im the paranoid type when it comes to pets, so I really want to make sure I have everything I need and know what to expect.

I have a 10gal for quarantine, and in it will be repticarpet, water bowl, a food bowl, a lamp (on top), a hide and for substrate some paper towels.

Now, I had questions on a few things:
    1.) When multiple frogs (2, in my case) are housed together, how do you make sure both are getting equal food?
    2.) Are paper towels ok?
    3.) How long for quarantine, some are saying 4-8 months, others 30 days.
    4.) Once I do move them in with each other, will they fight, etc.
    5.) Typically, how much do vets charge for a check up.
    6.) I am buying the other frog from a PetSmart, and they are "vet approved," but that probably doesnt mean much. Does that mean they check for parasites, etc?
    7.) My frog hasnt shed yet, and I have had him/her since December, is that normal? (Hasnt grown much)
    8.) How often are they supposed to poop, in everyones experiance. Google search resulted in anywhere from 1-2weeks. Is that correct? (I feed 4-6 crickets every other day, with the occasional meal worm as back up food) (Last one I found was about a week ago, found two)

Other than that, am I good to go?
    Information I have read has been very varied, and contradicts each other.
    Thats probably alot of questions.
    Thanks
    Pierce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Immortal

Default Re: Need some advice

Hi Pierce. I am not a frog expert, but I've been learning a lot since I got my first red eye in March. I'll answer what I can best I can and let the others add their opinions and knowledge!

1: I've been told just throw extra in. If they normally eat 2-3 a night, if you have 2 frogs, throw 6 crickets in. That's what I do. Haiku is more of a pig than Orchid, so by the time he eats his full, there's some left for Orchid.

3: People may not be happy with my answer but everyone's opinion is different. I got Haiku and was going to wait 30 days to put him in with Orchid. Over a couple weeks, I noticed he's healthy, she's healthy, he adapted to his new home very fast and had no issues wanting to eat etc. Everyone looked completely fine, so I decided to introduce them. If I wasn't sure if either was doing okay, I wouldn't have put them together that soon. IMO, get to know your frogs and if you are sure they are both adapted to their environment, healthy, happy and eating, they should be fine to put in together. Others may say different.

4: I wasn't sure if mine would fight, so I had one on each hand quite a distance away so they knew there was now another frog. Haiku decided to LEAP into his new tank and leave Orchid behind lol. I put her back in on the opposite side of the tank and just made sure to watch them all day. They were fine. I was told fighting in frogs is kind of rare.

6: I got Haiku from Pet Smart and he was super dark green during the day, which everyone here seems to believe meant he was stressed out. I don't blame him, he had 2 heat lamps on him and a short tiny tank, stuck with 2 what I believe now to be cuban tree frogs. I don't think they even understand what vet approved is. Other than him just being stressed, he was completely healthy, but I may have just been lucky there. I checked him all over for spots and checked his weight when he was stretched out. They do offer a 14 day guarantee though, at least where I got Haiku from did.

7: I read on a post that frogs shed every day, little bits at a time? Being in the water helps.. I think? Hope someone can fill us both in on this one.

8: Mine seem to poop once a night, I've heard once a day or sometimes every other day. Not a super lot, but clean it out when you see it. I pick out poops every morning, just with a tissue.

All my answers were based on my red eyed tree frogs. Hope I helped a bit!

charlamanda

Default Re: Need some advice

Hi Pierce,
    I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

"Man I've posted three topics all about me wanting advice, just sad."
    ****I must have posted, at least, 100 wanting advice posts, so no judgement here, better safe then sorry. Most people here would rather you ask questions, than endanger your frogs, so no worries
    ****I am not an expert either, but have learned much over the past year and I too have a 33 gal viv.
    1.) When multiple frogs (2, in my case) are housed together, how do you make sure both are getting equal food?
    ****You could take them out to feed them in a container and watch them eat, I do this, or use crickets bowls in the tank and watch them, I do this in my other viv. There is always one or two pigs that seem to get more, mostly the females, and the males, in my case, eat much less. Do you know their sexes yet?
    2.) Are paper towels ok?
    ****Yes, I have used them plenty and have been advised to use them in cases of sick or new frogs. Try using "green" pt's, which even the mainstream stores sell now, I used white pt's without any patterns or dye's, but I think most dyes used now are soy based so there probably isn't much to worry about there.
    3.) How long for quarantine, some are saying 4-8 months, others 30 days.
    ****I am not real sure about this cause I captured all mine at basically the same time in my yard, but the consensus seems to be between 30 to 90 days. I am sure someone will clear this one up for you at some point...hopefully!LOL Having your frog OK'd by a vet will shorten your quarantine time.
    4.) Once I do move them in with each other, will they fight, etc.
    ****I am not sure about White's, I have Gray's, but I don't think they are real territorial and your tank is large enough for 2 White's, I am fairly sure about that. My Gray's clump together and snuggle!LOL Check the care sheet on White's Tree frog under the frog and toad care articles on your top left on this site. It may answer many of the questions you are asking.
    5.) Typically, how much do vets charge for a check up.
    ****Depends on the vet! Mine charges $50-$100, depending on the problem. Routine check ups are usually less, but may cost a bit more if you want fecal test, etc. There is an article on this site too if you want to try to do your own fecal test, but you'll need a microscope, they even tell you where to buy one. If you have a vet already call and ask if they see many frogs, then call several more and find out who sees frogs. You maybe sorry you didn't find a good vet that sees frog routinely if your's do get sick. Getting them to a frog savvy vet quickly can be a matter of survival for you frog.
    6.) I am buying the other frog from a PetSmart, and they are "vet approved," but that probably doesnt mean much. Does that mean they check for parasites, etc?
    ****I agree with Immortal on this, I don't think they know anything about having frogs or any animal needs met and rarely have them checked by a vet prior to selling them."Vet approved" means as much as "all natural" in our food world..it doesn't! This is why many frogs die after being purchased at these types of chain stores. Read back on some other posts about people buying their frogs at pets stores, it seems to be a common problem and many of the frogs have died, so the advice I'm giving is based on their posts I've read & not my own experience. A frog can live with parasites, etc. and look completely healthy, happy and eating well, but under stress, buying them and changing their environment, handling them etc., their immune systems may weaken, temporarily, which may give anything they may have grow or replicate unchecked. It's probably better to get your new froggy checked by a vet immidiately after purchasing him/her. Then if there is any problems or illnesses that needs addressing, it will be treated before the frog gets very ill, then slap them with the bill!LOL Oh and I doubt they've gotten fecal tests done!
    7.) My frog hasnt shed yet, and I have had him/her since December, is that normal? (Hasnt grown much)
    ****My froggies usually shed after they eat. They puff themselves up with air and then will pull their skin off by using their legs, it's pretty wild watching them. There really isn't much to see afterwards so your frog maybe shedding you just might not be able to find the evidence or observe the process. How old was your frog when you got him/her? Was she/he an adult? Males tend to be much smaller than the lady frogs so it's possible you have a male, well that's with Gray's so I am not 100% sure that it's the same with White's. Hopefully a white's owner will verify this for you. I also noticed mine go through growth spurts. I took several froglets in that were unusually small at the end of the summer/ beginning of fall. For a long time they didn't grow, I was actually worried and posted my concerns, but all of a sudden they grew and kept growing, so don't worry ...yet. Also I noticed they are affected by the whether outside and since you purchased your frog in winter it could be this reason he/she hasn't grown much, wait for spring/summer for a growth spurt.
    8.) How often are they supposed to poop, in everyones experiance. Google search resulted in anywhere from 1-2weeks. Is that correct? (I feed 4-6 crickets every other day, with the occasional meal worm as back up food) (Last one I found was about a week ago, found two)
    ****Hummm. well again I have Gray's but when mine eat they usually poop soon afterwards, basically for the same reason humans do. When you eat the peristalsis action of your intestines kick on and then kick out anything waiting at the exit, which is exactly why frogs poop after they eat. If your feeding your frog every other day than he/she should poop more frequently than every 1 to 2 weeks. Is he/she sitting in his/her pool? They tend to soak after a big meal, since they absorb water through their skin, which helps move things along in their intestines. A regular frog is a happy frog!LOL
    I hope some of this helps.

Thread Information