Thread: Gray Tree frog pile up!

charlamanda

Default Gray Tree frog pile up!

The first 2 pics are 7 of my 8 Gray's piled up together. They stayed like this for several hours, but this isn't the first time they have done this. I find all my grays seem to huddle together like this regularly. It doesn't matter how much space they have, it's definitely not over crowding, they tend to seek out another frog and...cuddle together.
    Yesterday it was so nice out I took all 8 out for some fresh air. I was sitting on the deck with them at a table with an umbrella. One eyed the pole of the umbrella for a few minutes, then jumped over to it. A few minutes later another watched the first and also jumped over and climbed up as far as they could, just under the umbrellas peak. Then the next saw the previous frogs, then also jumped over and headed up too. This continued until all 8 where on the pole all the way to the top.
    *Is this normal behavior for Gray's or do I just have exceptionally affectionate frogs?
    It appears that they have a social tendency and may huddle together for comfort or warmth, either way it makes for great entertainment since they huddle in very interesting positions. I am completely amused how one will sit on another's head or step on their face, yet the recipient frog seems un phased and will rarely move. I have only heard 1 frog make the alternate croak of displeasure when he was sitting on a leaf and a large female, at least 4 times his size, sat squarely on top of him for several minutes. She is so large you couldn't see him AT ALL!
    The last 2 pics are 4 of the eight that climbed up the umbrella pole. They stayed there for about 30 minutes when I decided they received enough fresh air. During their moment of temporary freedom they, as usual, piled up atop of each other and stayed like that for the duration. When I put them back in their tank they piled up documented in pics 1 and 2.
    Silly frogs, but so cute.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Gray Tree frog pile up!

Whoopsies, I forgot to attach the umbrella pics, so here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Immortal

Lol cute! Do you bring your frogs outside often? Maybe this is better to do with some species than others? I would be too worried bringing my red eyes outside! I'd end up losing them or maybe something in the ground would make them sick *paranoid* lol

charlamanda

I only take them out for feedings usually, thats why they went out for these pics and some fresh air and sun. I have this idea that it's healthier for them to get some outside time since it's very clean in this area with little or no polution. I put them in a cricket keeper thats fairly large with a slotted top for vent. I usually let one or two out on the deck, they don't go very far and they seemed very content climbing up the umbrella pole and just sitting there!lol They all cuddled up and went into sleep mode, it was so cute. I wouldn't let them go on the ground, etc. for fear of paracites or other diseases they are probably not immune to, however they are wild caught frogs. I raised them from tadpoles, so they don't really know anything other than my pool and me. Before I took any in I consulted people on this site to see how Grays were at pets and got an overwhelming...they are great pets and great first frogs, so I took in several. They are the laziest lil frogs I've ever wittnessed and tamed in less than 2 weeks, possibly due to their froglets status. They morphed last Mid July so they are all still fairly young. During the day seems to be the best time to take them out, if I took them out at night they might try a freedom break and join their relative back in the wild.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Charlotte..They are awesome..I love the fact you take them out for some fresh air and natural sun. They seem very content happy frogs. Are these the frogs you raised last year?

clownonfire

That's quite something to look at.

Eric

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hi Charlotte..They are awesome..I love the fact you take them out for some fresh air and natural sun. They seem very content happy frogs. Are these the frogs you raised last year?
    Thanks, I thought the natural sun would be good for them in moderation and of course the fresh air, lord knows those tanks are pretty stuffy even though I run fans into them.
    I think they are happy too, but they just aren't saying anything!LOL
    Yes these are the frogs I raised from tadpoles from last summer, they morphed and left the water around mid-july. Most of the males are chirping through out the day and night and I am pleasantly surprised it is actually very pleasant sounding. They really are calm wonderful lil pets and extremely entertaining, as the pics shows.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    That's quite something to look at.

Eric
    I have dozens of pics like this and a few videos too, they get into the oddest positions and do some of the funniest things. I just love my gray's.
    This summer should be another replay of last year, so I should have a few hundred more by June/July. Right now I have Green frog tads I took in from my pool last fall right before the pool water froze solid. So far I've released 16 froglets back into the pool that had completely morphed, but still have about 78 more in my tank inside. As they get their front legs and resorb their tails they're transferred back out into my pool. The pool is lying on the ground with a few inches of water in it, long story, but anyway it's turned into a frog pond.
    If anyone want's some green froglets or tads, please get some or I can possibly mail them , depending on the laws of the land.
    This year I'll also have Gray's available to anyone willing to come get them.
    If anyone is interested in either send me a private message and we'll work it out.

nickc

haha nice picture!

artes

Adorable! *_*

charlamanda

Thanks for the comments. I love this pic so much it is now my desktop pic on my laptop. It's incredible how they constantly pile up like this and I'm shocked they aren't smothered or suffocate one another!LOL They really are wonderful pets.

Thread Information