Thread: Part albino tadpoles?

Default Part albino tadpoles?

Okay sorry I can't get a picture asides the ones Ill provide. The tadpoles started out black. But a small deal of them(now 10-12 individuals) are starting to turn into a lighter color. I'm not quite sure why. So far they are this color: http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0...l-tadpoles.jpg

They're quite active and eating well. They're certainly not the runt of the litter. But they don't look dark jet black like the other tadpoles. You can even see the inner organs(only through the bottom side though. You can see the organs if you look from the belly up. The upper side is still a lighter color. But not quite that light. They're not quite albino. But somewhat in between? Like leuistic I mean. I even recall(it may have been reflection) seeing white eyes on one of the tadpoles----- not a 100% sure since they're in a breeder basket in the main tank and I don't wanna bother them anymore.

They appear to be extremely healthy. So what should I expect? As well as what would this be called? Will they get more whiter/albino?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Part albino tadpoles?

some look like the tadpoles in this thread:
    Rare color of tadpole - Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum

You can see their organs and stuff wondering if its normal for AMERICAN toad tadpoles. Those are bombinas. Wondering if for americans it makes a diff.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    They're quite active and eating well. They're certainly not the runt of the litter. But they don't look dark jet black like the other tadpoles. You can even see the inner organs(only through the bottom side though. You can see the organs if you look from the belly up. The upper side is still a lighter color. But not quite that light. They're not quite albino. But somewhat in between? Like leuistic I mean. I even recall(it may have been reflection) seeing white eyes on one of the tadpoles----- not a 100% sure since they're in a breeder basket in the main tank and I don't wanna bother them anymore.
    It is completely normal. A certain percentage will be lighter or darker than the the others and many tads will change back and forth. Leucism or albinism looks totally different. I just had a pair of F1 toads that are both het's for a form of leucism spawn for me last night. Roughly 25% of the tads from that pairing should be leucistic assuming it is a simple recessive gene. Assuming the eggs are fertile I should be able to post a picture illustrating the color difference between regular toad tads and those with a leucistic color mutation in a few weeks.

Zach

Yes I agree.Btw, I have two pure albino wood frog tads

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    It is completely normal. A certain percentage will be lighter or darker than the the others and many tads will change back and forth. Leucism or albinism looks totally different. I just had a pair of F1 toads that are both het's for a form of leucism spawn for me last night. Roughly 25% of the tads from that pairing should be leucistic assuming it is a simple recessive gene. Assuming the eggs are fertile I should be able to post a picture illustrating the color difference between regular toad tads and those with a leucistic color mutation in a few weeks.
    So does it mean anything though?

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    So does it mean anything though?
    Not really. They are just individuals that look different. When they morph they will look the same as the other tads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Not really. They are just individuals that look different. When they morph they will look the same as the other tads.
    when they morph. When exactly will the color and the patterns start to show on the individuals? Like I mean individual colors and such. Like reds/browns/gray/orange/yellows/olive/black/tan= Stripes/spots/splotches/no pattern/etc.

Wormwood

Some will start to show color when they fully morph and you'll see the major wart patterns on the tiny toads. They are generally still pretty dark at this stage and I notice most younger toads stay this way until they are about the size of a half-dollar. The older a toad get the more it grows into it's color. I've even had older American toads change color due to tempature changes, a bright yellow male might become a mucky brown for a few weeks, then after a long burrow of a week in his substrate, amerge fully yellow again.

You won't really know the end result until a month or two of growth after becoming land bound. Judge it by the base skin color, not the warts. I have some very dark purple toads with bright red warts all over them. I also have some very light male toads with dark warts.

Generally a pot shoot though since they stay pretty dark for so long and are hard to keep alive as toadlets anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    Some will start to show color when they fully morph and you'll see the major wart patterns on the tiny toads. They are generally still pretty dark at this stage and I notice most younger toads stay this way until they are about the size of a half-dollar. The older a toad get the more it grows into it's color. I've even had older American toads change color due to tempature changes, a bright yellow male might become a mucky brown for a few weeks, then after a long burrow of a week in his substrate, amerge fully yellow again.

You won't really know the end result until a month or two of growth after becoming land bound. Judge it by the base skin color, not the warts. I have some very dark purple toads with bright red warts all over them. I also have some very light male toads with dark warts.

Generally a pot shoot though since they stay pretty dark for so long and are hard to keep alive as toadlets anyway.
    What do you mean by a pot shoot?

Wormwood

Pot shoot, just a turn of phrase - means a shot in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    Pot shoot, just a turn of phrase - means a shot in the dark.
    Means its all random? I know that they turn a different color depending on temperature and such. But that color is ussually just darker colorations. Iam just talking about say when my toad is eating an insect it really loves. He turns his "set" color. I say set-- because that's the color pattern he ussually has when he's happy and such or she. Which is what I was talking about. Oddly he also gets to his lighter color if you submerge him in water(not fully where he can't breathe I'm talking about say when he/she is in the water dish soaking).

I don't know what I can do to keep their colors bright sometimes though. If say high humidity makes it bright or dark. Or if low humidity makes it bright for them. You know? Or say if a low temp(60s and such--- I leave my tank without a heatpad. I like making it as natural as possible in the sense of keeping it room temps). Or if I should keep at a higher temperature that if it would help them. You know? I am trying to get what makes them "tick" with color. lol. That would be safely done.

Thread Information