Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need Some Help, possibly sick White's :(

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    Poor Willis! I hope he gets better soon <3

I'm also going to add, my car is named Bruce Willis.. lol
    Cuz he's amazing! One of the best action heroes of todays' movies. It's only right to honor him. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Update:

I finally thought things were getting a little better. Willis' color had returned and s/he was hopping about happily all over the tank, but still uninterested in eating.

Not I'm not sure...

Last night s/he burrowed into the moss again, and taking advice from EZWeasel I did not disturb him/her. This morning I found the little guy/gal sitting next to the water dish, awake in the day (though s/he is sleeping now), and that dark orange color again. I haven't tried any medication on him/her besides pedialite and honey water, but now I am thinking a trip to the vet might be in order, especially if s/he doesn't start eating soon...

I haven't seen any of the previous behaviors or any problems in the skin, besides the dark coloration. Just cross your fingers s/he will start eating again..):
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

I think you should start feeding inside your tank. Istead of taking them out to feed. Since you have no substrate there is no reason to remove them. Problem being, stress, handeling, and boredom. Frogs like to hunt, period.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I think you should start feeding inside your tank. Istead of taking them out to feed. Since you have no substrate there is no reason to remove them. Problem being, stress, handeling, and boredom. Frogs like to hunt, period.
    I actually do feed these guys inside the vivarium, Bruce Campbell is the only one I feed outside because he can't see well.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Update:

So Bruce Willis appetite has not returned. I took him/her out tonight and gave him/her a bath in pedialite to see if that might perk him/her up. I soaked him/her for 15 minutes and afterward drained the water and put one cricket in to see if s/he showed any interest whatsoever. I got no response so I removed him/her and put him/her back in the viv. I saw no loose skin but I did notice something else that was unwanted and unexpected.

I seems s/he has those little green spots people have trouble with every once in a while. I read a bunch of different threads of people's experiences and got a bunch of different results, some people's frogs recovered with a shed, and some people's frogs die. I'm really starting to get nervous about this...

The spots are on his/her back legs and are in little clusters. They're so small there's no way they'd show up on my camera so I didn't bother trying to take a picture.

I'm considering a trip to the vet now, so scared of loosing these beautiful frogs, but I really don't have the money. Having had success with my other frogs (and one that recovered after vet trips that basically emptied my wallet) I really wasn't worried about this but now it's a different story...I don't know what to do.

I'm a little worried Paul's appetite may have fallen by the wayside as well, but I'm not sure of this as he seems healthy in every other regard. No incomplete sheds, eyes are clear, skin is healthy, he croaks every day almost...I may be over paranoid, I don't know.

Well...I'll give you guys more updates later, when I know more. I may schedule a vet appointment if neither frog eats within these next few days, but I'm not sure if I can get the money.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Leefrogs

well I'm glad. I thaught u had fed them all out of the viv. Sorry

I'd say try some wax worms

I'm hoping that the green is just freckles errupting.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's ok Ginger, I understand. I would have made that misconception also if I didn't know better. XD Bruce C. gets special treatment cuz he has messed up eyes.

Update:

Last night I put in a fair amount of crickets and saw neither frog eat. I looked at Paul, sitting on the water bowl and saw how fat he was in comparison to Bruce Willis and this scared me. I called the vet this morning and made an appointment for tomorrow. Bruce is looking so skinny now, and she is doing strange movements with her legs as if she's in a delirium or her muscles aren't responding correctly. She sat on my hand this morning (I was checking for the green spots, but now I think it's just as Ginger assumes, that they're little freckles) and reached out one of her front arms but I don't think she was reaching for anything, it seemed like her arm was at an awkward position and she kept putting it back and doing it again, about three times. I'm so scared I could loose her because of her appetite, and I am not ready to accept that. I'll figure out a way to pay for the vet somehow...

So we're going in tomorrow, and I'm going to bring both Bruce Willis and Paul just to see if I can treat them both in case they are both infected. I'm not REALLY worried about Paul at the moment because his belly is so round and fat, but I didn't see him eat last night and am worried that he could have whatever Bruce Willis has.

Anyway, I'll give you more updates tomorrow night after the vet visit, I just hope it's not too late, or both frogs miraculously start eating. Either one is good for me. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Have the vet visit today...

I took little Bruce Willis out of the viv today to check on her...I can't really look at her anymore without wanting to cry. She's so skinny...

I tried to tong feed her this morning as a last ditch attempt to get her to eat, but she just turned away from the cricket, uninterested. I checked her eyes, they're clear, and her skin look alright, though there are some dry patches on her face.

I took some pictures this morning of the two frogs, they were awake and sitting near each other. Paul still seems fine, he's got a full belly and it seems as though he's been eating normally, though I found quite a few dead crickets under the towels from all the moisture, he is still pooping so I'm assuming he's eating heartily, especially by the size of his tummy.

Anyway, here are the pictures. More updates to come after the vet visit. Hopefully it's something we can stop...or we can get her to eat. I don't know...

0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

clownonfire

I really feel for you, Brit. I hope everything goes well at the vet. And please keep us posted.

Eric

artes

I'm sorry I haven't checked in on you, I live in North Alabama, so, yeah. I'm sorry to hear your Willie hasn't improved yet! I was really hoping I'd come back to a good report. Let us know how the vet went.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Artes, and Eric, if anyone knows how harrowing nursing a suck frog back to health it's you. I appreciate your support, both of you.

Update:

Wen to the vet yesterday and he checked Bruce Willis over. I had a different doctor this time but I didn't care, I just wanted someone to tell me what could be wrong...Plus this vet was just as nice as the first, so I realize how lucky I am to have people like that so close to where I live, others don't have that luxury.

ANYway, he thinks Bruce Willis may have a parasite or some other bacterial infection. Honestly I think the latter is more likely because of the weight loss. The doctor examined him/her, rubbed his/her belly to make sure s/he wasn't obstructed, and gave me a long talk about parasites. He watched Bruce Willis walk also when he put him/her back in the carrying case and said it looked like s/he had pain in abdomen, which isn't surprising...

He gave me two antibiotics, Baytril and Metronidazole and I have to administer them orally once a day for seven days, longer if that doesn't work. I started treatment yesterday, and let Bruce Willis sleep in the critter keeper overnight with a water dish and small fake plant to ease her stress, and also just in case Paul hadn't caught whatever it is s/he has yet...

But unfortunately I think the parasite, or infection, has already passed on to Paul. This morning I saw him sitting awkwardly, kind of laying on his belly as if he was in pain, like Bruce Willis has been doing for more than a week. I also counted all the crickets and noticed he hasn't eaten. Luckily with Paul I can start him early on the antibiotics, and he's still fat so he has a better chance at fighting this off because it hasn't been so long...So I put Bruce Willis back into the 32 gallon, there's no point in separating them if they're both sick...

I just wish I had taken Bruce Willis to the vet earlier...than a lot of pain could have been avoided...but I have the medicine now, I'm going to treat both frogs and keep my fingers crossed that they both get back the hardy appetite they once had.

At least Paul is still croaking...that gives me some hope that the both of them can pull through this.

Anyway, thanks for reading, please keep your fingers crossed for my little guys. I can't believe this happened...I'll update periodically with news.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

artes

I'm glad you caught Paul early, and hope the antibiotics kick in quickly for both! Don't beat yourself up, you didn't have the money or know it was something serious enough to need a vet. You did what you thought was best, and that's all any mommy can do.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    I'm glad you caught Paul early, and hope the antibiotics kick in quickly for both! Don't beat yourself up, you didn't have the money or know it was something serious enough to need a vet. You did what you thought was best, and that's all any mommy can do.
    Thanks Artes, that makes me feel better. ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

artes

How go the babies?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    How go the babies?
    So far I've seen little to no change...thanks for asking though.

I'm having a hard time updating because the semester is at an end and I'm trying to get all my end of the year projects done and over with before time runs out, so sorry I haven't updated too often.

Paul is still croaking, though not as often. Neither frog has regained their appetite, but I have to say Bruce Willis doesn't look as thin and sickly as before, and Paul doesn't seem to be having as hard a time either.

Only time will tell if they get better...

I've covered the tank with paper to make them feel safer and added dirt to the enclosure to help with humidity and make the tank more natural, so far I've seen a little improvement, but nothing too noteworthy.

I just can't wait until they start eating again...
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information