Thread: Moss frog?????

blaze

Default Moss frog?????

Is it normal for an American Green Tree Frog to hid under his moss all day?? and night. I just got a new terrarium for him and ever since i put him in there about 1 hour later he has not come out of under his moss i tried touching him to come out he did so for alittle then went back under.... Ill post a picture of him in his new tank at the begining.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Moss frog?????

Well, your cage is a little short for a tree frog. And very bare. I would look into a conversion kit, stand it on end, and make it look like a jungle. Plants, trees, sticks, maybe a cork bark. 30% of your cage should be filled with a frog jungle gym and plants. Minimal 30%. My vivs are over planted and more like 50% filled.

Then after you move him to re-do his home, cover 4 sides of the viv. And when you move him back to his newly redecorated crib, still cover atleast 3 sides of the viv for a couple months.

blaze

Well thats the thing i don't have enough fund to buy him the proper terrarium so i have a 10g fish tank with a screen top i am planing on buying him little plants and lots of things to put in his tank...

Leefrogs

No that's cool ! I'm queen of being a broke joke!!

You can use almost any dried barkess branches from outside after baking them for an hour@ 200 degrees. And I had my ace hardware guy make me a screen and cut the glass for 12$. 8$ of that was for the screen assembly. You could probly use wood strips and glue screen on. Or glue the screen on top and sides, then a wire with screen wrapped tigthly and glued in place at bottom part. So it's not baggy for frog to escape. For glue I use GE silicone II. I got hinge and pull non for 3$ from Joshs frogs. Could maybe find one localy by you. Not sure. I'm 100 miles from a city. So shipping was cheeper than looking around.

In my alblum you can see my 10 gal build. I only broke 1 rule--a 5$ fake palm frm Walmart.
    And I had a thread 10 ways to be green and save money. It ended up being like 30 things.

The only problem you have is you have to move her for 2 days while silicone cures.

blaze

My frog is only 1-1/2-2 inch long he is in a 10g tank with a screen lid.... I am getting him more thing i just got the tank yesterday. They do not need EXACTLY what shows on the internet for tanks. I am very creative and will figure something out

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The truth is what Ginger is saying is absolutely right. And honestly if you don't have the money to properly take care of an animal it is unsafe for both you and your pet to keep him. Just my 2 cents, you don't have to be rich, I can tell you I am definitely not and I have 6 frogs, but you do have to have the cash to provide them with the base requirements.

Ginger was trying to be helpful to you, I don't think she was telling you to try and do exactly what they say to do in pet stores or online. She just gave you ten ways you could make your tank better that would cost you under $20. I think she was looking out for you in your situation to better suit your frog.

We're all trying to help you, none of us are against you, but if you're adverse to our advice than why ask in the first place? I am in no way trying to be mean so I hope it doesn't sound that way, I just want to get my point across.

Now, on to the thing about your frog burrowing. How long have you had him/her? If it's only been a couple of weeks and if you've just moved tanks it could be a very stressful time for the frog. He might just need some time to adjust and could be scared, give him a little time and see if he comes around within the next few days. Also, if he is burrowing all the time it could be that your humidity is too low, maybe you should start spraying more often or in greater volume and see if he comes out then. He could be trying to burrow and find cooler, wetter soil down below.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

Thank you Kisa for filling in the gaps. Man I forgot to ask if he had heat and humidity dials. She's very right, they would burrow to get to moisture.

And you can go fill the cage with whatever you want. But if the frog doesn't use it, what good is it to have it in there? They have instincts and intelegence, and if something isn't right, they'll be stressed and slowly die. Or a streight up heart attack when the Lego bridge collapses. LOL.

If you want to be cheap, what's free is in nature, and that's what they like anyway. I'm not trying to make any one of my vivs LOOK like any viv on the net. I'm trying to make my "kids" as happy as possible. And even with cutting corners, and free cages, I've still spent over 400$, easy.

blaze

Its not that i don't have enough money for him... All i am saying is the usual tanks that open from the front are like 100$ and up.... I am trying to also get my point across to the fact i think for now im doing pretty good with a 10g tank. I asked the pet store i got him from if thats okay they said yes i can have 2 of thoes frog in a 10g tank must i remind you he is only 2 inchs big in. I am getting more for his tank and yes i have a spray bottle and temamaters. All i kinda asked was Why was my frog buring him self in the moss this morning i found him on the side or the window in his tank and has been there all day he is a very vibrant green lime green and looks happy he is under his heat lamp and looks happy thank you for your 5 cents =)

Leefrogs

NO ONE said go buy a 100$ tank. I was telling you the way to convert yours fir 4- 12$ . If you run into problems again you may have to do this. AGAIN, you can look in my alblum and see how I did it. Next time I convert, I may do the glue screen/wire I told you about. if you use this method, make sure wire is completely coated in silicone.

blaze

Yes well as you can see i don't live in the US i live in Canada.... Witch is diffrent on prices. And no i don't have a humidity dial. I just got him i still have some shoping to do for him. When i got him he was the only one left i did pretty good i whent from a bowl that fit over my head to a 10g tank in a matter of 2 days. When i got him it was more of a spare the momment... I can't find any other pet store in abbotsford who sells these frogs. So i bough him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    I asked the pet store i got him from if thats okay they said yes i can have 2 of thoes frog in a 10g tank must i remind you he is only 2 inchs big in. I am getting more for his tank and yes i have a spray bottle and temamaters.
    Another truth is that people in pet stores do not always tell the truth. I would try and stick to the rule of 10 gallons per frog to do what's healthiest for your animal. Keeping them in too small of an enclosure can lead to stress, which can lead to injury or restlessness. I'm not saying you have to go an spend $100 on a tank to make your little guy happy, I am just giving you advice, especially if you plan on keeping him in a long rather than tall vivarium. American Green Tree Frogs are arboreal, along with most other species of tree frog, and they like to climb, high. You don't necessarily have to have a tall tank, or convert yours, again, this is just advice. We're only trying to tell you that your frog would be happier in a tall tank with more things to hide or climb in. It's good that you plan on providing for him, it's exactly what these pets need, someone who's ready and willing to give them exactly what they need.

All i kinda asked was Why was my frog buring him self in the moss this morning i found him on the side or the window in his tank and has been there all day he is a very vibrant green lime green and looks happy he is under his heat lamp and looks happy thank you for your 5 cents =)
    Also, I told you why he may be burrowing. He could be scared or your humidity could be too low. The fact that he has come out of hiding is good, and I am glad to hear it.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

blaze

Yes well he has not burried him self since two days ago hes out and active now and out in the open. He loved the attention. He looks happy and as long as he looks happy to me that is happy. Honestly i think i will do the two frogs in a 10g tank because the reason he is so small he is 2 inchs if people have not read that again yet.......... There treating it like hes really big to the size of my hand hes like litteraly the size of my thumb he looks abit bigger in pictures and hes fully gorwn. So i don't see the harm in having two frogs of the same size in that tank and the pet store i got him from ... my buddy works there and he has 15 frogs in his house and all are healthy and happy.. But its always good to have other opinions

Thread Information