Thread: White's Tree Frog Not =(

Missa

Default White's Tree Frog Not =(

I have had 2 White's Tree Frogs for about a month now. They are both about 1 1/2 inches long. They have been doing really good until a week ago. My one has stopped eating. He also has some stringy stuff (believe it is skin shed) coming off him. My other frog has been eating fine until today. He didn't eat at all. But he doesn't appear to have any shed coming off him. How often do they shed? How long does a shed take? And is it normal for them not to eat when they shed? Also they like to bury themselves in the ground. Is that normal? Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Not =(

Sounds like the enclosure isn't humid enough for them. See the care article to make sure you are doing everything right.

Leefrogs

Shedding happens almost everyday. When they soak in the waterbowl the extras should come off. Did I forget to say welcome to the forum?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree with Kurt, check all the care sheet requirements and make sure they're being met. After that if there's still a problem I would check the frogs for any physical ailments on their skin or eyes, if there's nothing there, you should be fine.

If you do see some eye or skin abnormalities it's time to post pictures here and ask for advice and/or take the frogs to the vet. Nothing that serious yet though, it sounds like so don't panic. I'm sure they'll be fine as long as their temp and humidity requirements are met.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Missa

I seem to have everything that the care sheet calls for. They are in a 10 gallon tank (will upgrade as they get larger) with eco earth substrate, water dish, artificial plants and grape vine wood (which has been treated and cured). The only thing I'm not sure about is lighting/heat/humidity. Right now I have a 25 watt heat bulb (recommended by the pet store) made by reptisun on one side of the tank. Should I be using a different watt bulb or a different light all together? What can I use to check humidity and what can I do to raise it if it is too low? I'm sorry I am pretty new to this.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You should invest in some temperature and humidity gauges to watch the levels you have in the tanks. You can find these at any local pet shop or online. The ideal heat/humidity for White's is up to 85f, sometimes 90f, and down to 70f at night, with a humidity at 65-75%. White's can handle a good amount of highs or lows in both of these areas, but keeping them ideal most of the time is best for their health. Right now I have been misting lightly in the morning right after I turn their lights on for bed and heavily at night after lights out to retain the rainy season type setting.

Try buying some gauges and getting a better control on your husbandry, and then see how they do. The best are obviously the digital ones, but those can be a bit pricey so I go with the liquid crystal strips for temperature (they just look like a piece of black sticky paper with squares and numbers along the sides) and a dial hygrometer for humidity, though these aren't always so accurate.

Hope this has helped!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information