Thread: New tank tell me what i need

blaze

Default New tank tell me what i need

Hi its Paige again... I got a new tank for my American Green Tree Frog and i think i have the basics smack down. He went from a small bowl that fit over my head to a 10g terrarium. I got him a heat lamp witch you see in the picture. I have moss on the bottom of his terrarium And i have live IVY branches in it. He has a little bowl of watter and some crickets in it already for when hes hungry ofcourse he is a Juvinielle. I am soon getting a themomiter for him. I also wanted to know he does not have any logs to sit or climb on. I am very creative and wanted to know if i can build him a lego bridge or something ofcourse i would staralise it with non harmfull products. Please get back to me. And is he the right color he should be???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

blaze

Default Re: New tank tell me what i need

Anyone know anything???

Hi! His colour seems fine to me. As we've mentioned in another thread, they can and will change it pretty dramatically.

The ivy is good, it gives hiding spots and something to climb on. You do definitely want more things for him to climb on though, mine is almost never on the ground. I can't see any problems with lego, all sorts of other plastic goes in peoples vivariums with no troubles, but I have never tried it myself. Definitely make sure there is no chance of a piece of lego coming off that is small enough for him to swallow.

Here's my go-to article (by Johnny O. Farnen, who posts here occasionally) about what kinds of woods you can use in a vivarium and how to treat it if you want to go for more natural perches than lego:

Caudata Culture Articles - Wood in Vivaria

5. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

blaze

Yes i just want the best for my little pal here.... May seem crazy that i am willing to spend so much on such a little thing lol but if i was not ready i don't think i would have bough him.. I can always look at second hand stores and see if i can find like a log or something and steralize it before adding to the tank. I was also thinking about buying Another one. But if i cannot find one like him is there a chance i can mix him and a diffrent on together?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The general rule of thumb is never to mix species. If you find a frog you want of a different species, get a separate tank. Mixing can lead to illness and even death in the long run, I have heard it being called "slow poisoning". It is very harmful to all frogs involved, and I definitely sy NO to mixing species.

With that said, I do agree with UncleChester, I'm sure the little guy would like more stuff to climb and hide in, just make sure it's all safe and that he can't eat anything you decide to use. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

8. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

blaze

Yes i was thinking of that also i think i will just have to find another green tree frog of his breed and mix them after 72 hours to make sure the new addition does not have any deseases if you can please answer to my moss frog????? post i kinda need help with it

Leefrogs

quarrntine period is 30 days, minimal. Most breeders go 3 months.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    Yes i was thinking of that also i think i will just have to find another green tree frog of his breed and mix them after 72 hours
    Ginger's right, the minimum quarantine period is 30 days and if you see any signs of infection or illness during this first introduction period the length should definitely grow until you're sure the frog is healthy. Diseases can spread very fast, and could wipe out an entire collection if you're not careful, so my recommendation is to grab another small tank for a new edition for the frog to live in for a month until you're sure it's completely healthy.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information