Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toad help please

HilaryM

Question Toad help please

Hi Everyone!

Not sure if anyone on this forum can help as the advice I need is with a garden toad, at least I think it's a toad and not a frog! Found one sitting on garden patio 3 days ago. I placed it by my garden pond and it hasn't moved at all. It doesn't appear injured. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but is this normal? What on earth should I do with it? I've attached a picture (I hope) !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad help please

Looking at his eyes, he looks ill to me. If he has not moved in a few days, it is probably too late for this one. (Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news)
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

Its definitely a toad, most likely Bufo bufo, not exactly an aquatic species. Can it get out of the pond or is it stuck there?

HilaryM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, looking at it's eyes it doesn't seem too good does it? I've put it by the waterfall of the pond and it just hasn't moved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryM View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, looking at it's eyes it doesn't seem too good does it? I've put it by the waterfall of the pond and it just hasn't moved at all.
    Hi,

If it's like that, it's probably best trying to get it to a vet, to at least see if there is anything apparent. In the UK vets should treat wildlife for free (in normal hours), although you should check with your vet.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

HilaryM

Thanks Bruce, I'll do that if no change very soon. I know my vet doesn't charge for wildlife. Just a thought.....with it being so cold, wet and windy up here in the North of the UK, I'm just wondering if toads hibernate? Told you my knowledge of toads/frogs is zero

Kurt

They do brumate (hibernate), but its still summer here in the Northern Hemisphere.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would try to find a warm place for him for a bit and see if warming him up does the trick.

HilaryM

Thanks Tom. I brought toady in yesterday afternoon and put him/her in a little box with some leaves. Still with us today and eyes seem a lttle brighter. As for feeding......well, I don't know if I've done right or not, decided my compost bin has loads of creepies in it. No pesticides and only garden waste. I've placed toady in there for a while. Have I done right or wrong?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

As long as the compost bin is ventilated and not too warm then he should be alright in there. I have to tell you though that I think that toad is very sick. I hope I am proven wrong.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

HilaryM

Thanks John. I left Toady in the compost bin which wasn't too warm and well ventilated for a couple of hours. Plenty of food in there. Now back inside in the little box. I did think of taking him to the vets but I think I know what the outcome would be but I won't see it suffer. Keep hoping it will pick up. As I've said my knowledge of toads and frogs is zero but I'm doing what I can. Thanks for your help.

coltiger

It is hard to tell if it is really sick...I can see from your picture that the eye appears cloudy, maybe it is an injury from another animal. Or maybe it was just in the process of shedding, I guess if you want to find out...taking it to a good vet would be best. Is the toad eating at all?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Toads are not reptiles - their eyes do not go cloudy when they shed.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

coltiger

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Toads are not reptiles - their eyes do not go cloudy when they shed.
    I fully realize that toads are not reptiles.

HilaryM

Well thanks everyone for all your help, I certainly know more than I did when I first started this topic. Sad to say but little Toady didn't make it. Looked to have picked up last night but this morning didn't look good. Was going to vets but Toady died before I got there.

Thanks again. At least I know where I can get advice from now.

Kurt

Thats too bad. So sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well welcome to the forum and i hope you keep the hobby of amphibian keeping.

HilaryM

Thanks Tom. Think they must like my pond, found this little one roosting on the netting. Seem to have loads of very tiny ones in the grass too.

Kurt

That looks more like a Ranid than a Bufonid. Not sure what species as I am not really up on UK species as I could be.

HilaryM

I wouldn't have a clue. I just about know the difference between a frog and a toad since coming on this forum! At least this one isn't sick like the last chap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information