Thread: Looking at getting some mantellas.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Looking at getting some mantellas.

Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted in a long time, time for me to focus on frogs again!

I am considering getting a small breeding group of mantellas (not sure what species). I have a bit of a back story to this. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a Triangle Palm (Dypsis decaryi) grown from a seed in captivity. This tree is endemic to Madagascar and, in the wild, it is vulnerable with only about 1,000 wild individuals left. Growing seedlings from seeds collected from captive trees and offering them as an alternative to wild-collected trees to take the pressure of the wild population got me thinking about other endemic Malagasy species that could be bred in captivity to help the species in the wild.

Deep breath...That was a long sentence!

Back on topic, Most of the Madagascar's species are found nowhere else on Earth, and many of these are endangered or are heading that way. Mantellas are no exception, that is why I am considering obtaining some and attempting to breed them.

Now I'll get down off my soapbox and on to some questions. I am looking at getting a highland species (such as M. baroni, M. aurantiaca, or M. madagascariensis) because of their preference to cooler temperatures. Any suggestions on which species to start out with? I have a vacant 31 gallon tank I am planning on using for this project. What would be a good group for this size of an enclosure? How about the sex ratio?

I am not a professional frog breeder by any stretch of the imagination, but I am determined and willing to learn from any of the more experienced keepers here, and I am sure many more questions will come later.

Thank you everyone,
    Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Looking at getting some mantellas.

I am thinking aurantiaca, simply cause the ones you will mostly find are captive bred. I think the other two are still wild caught a lot of the time.

clownonfire

"Most of the Madagascar's species are found nowhere else on Earth, and many of these are endangered or are heading that way. Mantellas are no exception, that is why I am considering obtaining some and attempting to breed them."

There's no better reasons in this hobby to breed in order to preserve a species any way we can. Congrats, Thomas. Have you already looked at some breeders?

Understory Enterprises have Mantella betsileo and Mantella madagascariensis, which I personally love the colors: Mantellas for Sale | Understory Enterprises.

Eric

Socrates

Yes I would concur with Eric's statement for obtaining Mantellas. Unfortunately, you will have to wait until late summer/early fall. This is due to the fact that it is when Mantellas will spawn. And I like your thinking behind why you want to breed them. Kudos my friend!

Leefrogs

Im with Socrates!! Definately a wonderful modivation!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thank you everyone for your encouragements!!

I am seriously considering a breeding group of Mantella pulchra. This species is mostly imported and vulnerable in the wild. The group I am looking at getting is made up of WC imported frogs. It may seem like it would defeat my purpose to buy wild-caught frogs, but if I am trying to help the wild population, I want to work with a species that is mostly wild-caught and imported instead of a species that is established in the hobby already.

Thanks again everyone!
    Thomas

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Good luck with this - Ive always loved mantellas but unfortunately my frogroom gets too warm really to keep them
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Thread Information