Hello Everyone!

I haven't posted in a long time, time for me to focus on frogs again!

I am considering getting a small breeding group of mantellas (not sure what species). I have a bit of a back story to this. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a Triangle Palm (Dypsis decaryi) grown from a seed in captivity. This tree is endemic to Madagascar and, in the wild, it is vulnerable with only about 1,000 wild individuals left. Growing seedlings from seeds collected from captive trees and offering them as an alternative to wild-collected trees to take the pressure of the wild population got me thinking about other endemic Malagasy species that could be bred in captivity to help the species in the wild.

Deep breath...That was a long sentence!

Back on topic, Most of the Madagascar's species are found nowhere else on Earth, and many of these are endangered or are heading that way. Mantellas are no exception, that is why I am considering obtaining some and attempting to breed them.

Now I'll get down off my soapbox and on to some questions. I am looking at getting a highland species (such as M. baroni, M. aurantiaca, or M. madagascariensis) because of their preference to cooler temperatures. Any suggestions on which species to start out with? I have a vacant 31 gallon tank I am planning on using for this project. What would be a good group for this size of an enclosure? How about the sex ratio?

I am not a professional frog breeder by any stretch of the imagination, but I am determined and willing to learn from any of the more experienced keepers here, and I am sure many more questions will come later.

Thank you everyone,
Thomas