Thread: Atelopus spumurius hoogmoedi

SethD

Default Atelopus spumurius hoogmoedi

Interesting, Looks like there has been another importation of these. It has been about 6-7 years since I have seen any in the country. Maybe they will fair better this time. I know I certainly have seen enough dart froggers fawning over and wishing for them over the last several years when they weren't available. I had some years ago, all males, and while I think they were interesting I sure am not inclined to pay a 100$ ea. for wc frogs that can be touchy to get established.

kingsnake.com Classifieds: Atelopus spumurius hoogmoedi - Super Sale!- Special!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Atelopus spumurius hoogmoedi

He stated in his ad on DB that they are all males as well, not worth the investment for a group that can't ever breed...

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    He stated in his ad on DB that they are all males as well, not worth the investment for a group that can't ever breed...
    Ah, didn't see the add on dendroboard. It is no surprise they are all males. At least he was honest. In past importations females were few and far between. Sort of like finding female megophrys only worse since the total number of imports was never high.

Tony

He said that so far he has received 3 females out of the 64 total A. spumarius, definitely not good odds.

SethD

He said that so far he has received 3 females out of the 64 total A. spumarius, definitely not good odds.
    No, but sounds about like %'s in previous imports. Who is getting the couple of females that did come in do you know? Myself I would like to see them to go to someone like EdK who has worked with atelopus a long time. About the only likely way they might get established in the hobby is if a group of hobbyists chipped in and got a group with several females and sent them to someone like Ed to work with. Due to the manner they are collected there just is not going to be enough females to go around any other way. I would definitely make a donation towards getting together a nice breeding group if it was going to go to someone like Ed. I don't see much chance of hoogmoedi being established in the hobby without some sort of deal like that or somehow a group of young juveniles being collected with more even sex ratios.

bshmerlie

Did he say who the three females went to?

Tony

I know Ray Corderre got at least one of the females, he posted some pics in his Atelopus thread on DB.

I contacted Taron and he said he had both males and females available, and I could pick a probable pair up for 235 shipped. Super tempted, but like ya'll have stated, maybe I should leave it to someone with previous experience.

Well I have two of these guys coming tomorrow. I know there's not a lot of solid information on these guys currently but if anyone has any info that might help me get them established I would really appreciate it. I'm going to keep them around 70 degrees F, with a rockyish terrain, lots of hides, and hopefully a moving water feature. I'm understanding with the possibility that I might lose these guys, but also hoping for the best. Thanks!

clownonfire

Congratulations! You may want to contact Ray (Stemcellular) on this board. As Tony mentioned, he owns some. Here's also a search results on Atelopus spumarius:

Frog Forum - Search Results

If you can't find Ray here, I know you'll be able to reach him on Dendroboard. I believe you should get the right information as soon as you can to set up the proper environment to your frogs!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Eric

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    Well I have two of these guys coming tomorrow. I know there's not a lot of solid information on these guys currently but if anyone has any info that might help me get them established I would really appreciate it. I'm going to keep them around 70 degrees F, with a rockyish terrain, lots of hides, and hopefully a moving water feature. I'm understanding with the possibility that I might lose these guys, but also hoping for the best. Thanks!
    Hi, as I will also be getting a pair of males, I inquired towards Ed Kowalski on Dendroboard on what would be the best environment. I've put the details on this thread: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...html#post57917

Hope it helps you,

Eric

Stemcellular

Some new photos:

Male

Female

Thread Information