Thread: Fire bellied toad question

Teres

Question Fire bellied toad question

Hi! This is my first post here. My son got a fire bellied toad last year at a science camp he attended. We put a new decoration in the aquarium last week that she has been partially getting under. I noticed a cut or scrape on her nose a few days ago and after inspection of the decorative rock I noticed a few somewhat sharp places. I removed it, but the place on her nose seems to be getting worse. She is constantly rubbing the spot with her hand and I have seen pin dot spots of blood when she does it. I am concerned that it is infected. It's getting larger and is kind of shiny whitish in apprearance and has now spread up between her eyes. It reminds me of how a scab looks after my children have gone swimming and been in the water for a long time. Being concerned that it was staying too wet to heal, I now have just a dish of water in the aquarium for her to get into instead of half land and half water hoping it will heal if it dries up. I have read that you can use Neosporin on frogs, but have been afraid to try that since it is so close to her eyes. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Today she has not been in the water at all and looks very dry. She isn't very active except to wipe at the area with her front hands/legs. I'm afraid it's infected. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Teres

Default Re: Fire bellied toad question

Does anyone have any advice or treatment suggestion for me. She seems to be feeling worse. She is staying out of the water and is inactive hiding under things. She ate a cricket yesterday, but normally eats 2 every other day. Could this be a fungus growing on her nose? Please help! Thank you.
    Last edited by clownonfire; April 23rd, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Teres View Post
    Does anyone have any advice or treatment suggestion for me. She seems to be feeling worse. She is staying out of the water and is inactive hiding under things. She ate a cricket yesterday, but normally eats 2 every other day. Could this be a fungus growing on her nose? Please help! Thank you.
    Hi Teres, the best thing to do is to bring your frog to a veterinarian. Yes, you can apply Neosporin (without Pain killier/number as it can be fatal to your FBT). And you are right, you should try and avoid the eyes. You have done good by removing your frog from the water. Keep a bowl of water, and mist your frog if you think it looks too dry.

Here's a first aid guide we have: http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...first-aid.html

But if you think it's infected, you should consult a veterinarian.

Good luck,

Eric

Teres

Thank you for your response Eric. I couldn't find an exotics vet here that sees fire bellied toads or that could offer any kind of advice. I will give it a few more days to see if she takes care of it on her own. She is mostly staying in the dry area of her enclosure on a rock under the light. Maybe she knows what is best. It isn't getting worse and may even look a little better today. I will try Neosporin if it doesn't go away soon. Thanks again Eric!

clownonfire

Finding vets is not easy. I feel for you. All the best to you and your FBT, Teres. And keep us posted, will you?

Eric

7. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Teres

Yes, dog/cat vets told me to call an exotics vet and gave me the names of two here, but both told me they only treat large exotics. They don't seem to look a fire bellied toads as pets like my son and I have grown to. I took a look at the link you provided for first aid and gave her and her mate a pedialite and honey bath . Both seemed to really enjoy it. I also went ahead and put a little Neosporin on her this morning after my post and took them out on our deck for fresh air and filtered sunshine. When I returned this evening she was very active, hopping and climbing and no longer just hiding. Also, for the first time in over a week her mate was "barking" and grasping her in their little dish of water. I will post again in a few days. Thanks for being here. I have really enjoyed looking at the photos here. I have learned a lot about their care that the care sheets my sons were given at science camp didn't tell us. I think our little FBTs will get a new set up soon and will be very happy I found this forum. Thanks again Eric!

Thread Information