Thread: Please help

blaze

Default Please help

I bough my self a green tree frog yesterday from petcetera.... The told me they eat crickets but they didn't have any so i gave him a worm i found outside... I read up on it and said some worms might have deseases...... I looked in his tank and found a mysterious slug will he eat the slug and be fine from it or should i take it out... please get back to me soon and how many times do they eat he is a juvanile and only 2 inch long
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Please help

Hi Blaze, it's a nice little tree frog you have there. I would definitely remove any insects you have found outside. You are right, they could have parasites which could be lethal for your frog.

As for crickets, I'm pretty sure with a short Google search you will find some in Abbotsford. Also, at this point, he might be a bit stressed as he is getting used to a new environment. If I were you, I would let him in his tank, and make sure he has lots of branches to climb and leafage to hide behind. Try and handle him as little as possible.

Eric

blaze

Thank you but the thing is is that crickets are so darn anoying and wondering if theres anything els i can find around the house that i could give him and i went back in there to find the slug and hes gone so my frog might have eaten him

clownonfire

Blaze, crickets are the staple diet of your AGTF. Yes, it can eat mealworms, and other small insects, but you should not feed him anything you find. As you already know, it might carry harmful parasites.

For your frog's wellbeing, make sure you feed him the proper diet. Buy smaller containers of crickets if you find them annoying.... If you buy them younger two, there will be less chirping.

Eric

blaze

What i was planing on doing was to buy acouple of them and just leave them in a jar or container outside so i don't have to listen to them but would that attracked spiders? and would my frog be okay with eating worms tell this saturday because the store is closed tomorrow?

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    What i was planing on doing was to buy acouple of them and just leave them in a jar or container outside so i don't have to listen to them but would that attracked spiders? and would my frog be okay with eating worms tell this saturday because the store is closed tomorrow?
    Your frog is getting used to his new environment and will eat less than usual. Don't stress about not feeding it for a day. Put a shallow bowl of water. As for your crickets, again, find 2-3 weeks old crickets and you won't be bothered by their chirping. Your crickets will dies right now if you leave them outside. I live in Montreal, and although it's colder than in BC, the temperature is not warm enough for these insects.

blaze

Alright is he going to stay 2 inches or get any bigger?

clownonfire

Alright is he going to stay 2 inches or get any bigger?
    Male: 2 to 3 inches. Female: 2 to 4 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Male: 2 to 3 inches. Female: 2 to 4 inches.
    That looks like an American Green Treefrog to me, Hyla cinerea, not an Australian Green Treefrog. That would make it's max length about 2.5". We need to see its passport though.

Also, I'm not sure if Eric has lived in both Vancouver area and Montreal as I have (well Victoria and Montreal for me) so he might not realize that Vancouver only has pretend cold. I've let my crickets drop to 4 or 5C and they still live, they don't do a lot of breeding at this point, but they stayed alive. He's spot on about the cricket size you want though. Your frog probably won't be able to eat them once they are at the chirping stage, so get the smaller ones. You'll only hit the chirping stage if you plan to breed them.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    That looks like an American Green Treefrog to me, Hyla cinerea, not an Australian Green Treefrog. That would make it's max length about 2.5". We need to see its passport though.

Also, I'm not sure if Eric has lived in both Vancouver area and Montreal as I have (well Victoria and Montreal for me) so he might not realize that Vancouver only has pretend cold. I've let my crickets drop to 4 or 5C and they still live, they don't do a lot of breeding at this point, but they stayed alive. He's spot on about the cricket size you want though. Your frog probably won't be able to eat them once they are at the chirping stage, so get the smaller ones. You'll only hit the chirping stage if you plan to breed them.
    HAHA! Good point. I know our weather here is crazy! My wife Sara lived in Victoria and loved it! And it is indeed a Hyla cinerea (AGTF for the lazy like me). And you are right about the size of crickets. Mine will not eat anything bigger than a 2-3 week crickets.

Just read your comment to Sara and she laughed. It's currently 3 degrees this morning in Montreal, and she said it's about as cold as it gets all year in BC.

blaze

Yes well i also have another question.... Some times hes like alittle brown on the top of his head then other times hes fully lime green i don't know what this means =S

clownonfire

Yes well i also have another question.... Some times hes like alittle brown on the top of his head then other times hes fully lime green i don't know what this means =S
    They end up changing colours depending on many factor: surroundings, humidity, stress. In most cases, it's nothing to stress about.

blaze

Alright because yesterday almost all day he was like almost a green ish brown color.. When the sun was shining i opend the curten and then he was in the sun and turned a BRIGHT lime green color

blaze

Can my frog eat blood worms you give to fish?

Alright because yesterday almost all day he was like almost a green ish brown color.. When the sun was shining i opend the curten and then he was in the sun and turned a BRIGHT lime green color
    The colour change is normal as Eric noted. Mine is generally some shade of green in the day and can head to a dark olive brown at night. In my albums you can find one for my American Green treefrog and a few of the shades I've seen him in.

Make sure that the sun isn't capable of heating his vivarium up to unhappy levels.

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Just read your comment to Sara and she laughed. It's currently 3 degrees this morning in Montreal, and she said it's about as cold as it gets all year in BC.
    Ha! That's about the lower limit for the lower mainland and Victoria, where it's always shorts season. I've also done some living in Prince George, BC, which knows cold even better than Montreal does

blaze

But like i asked can i give him blood worms the one that you keep in the freezer?

Thread Information