Thread: Feeding Shrimp

nickc

Default Feeding Shrimp

Does anybody know if feeding uncooked saltwater shrimp is safe?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding Shrimp

No, I don't know. Are you refering to store-bought Saltwater shrimp, or tank raised Saltwater shrimp? I, being a Saltwater hobbiest, am aware that there are hundreds of species of Saltwater shrimp kept in the hobby. Some shrimps are more aggressive, and have harder exo-skeletons.

I assume you are talking about store-bought, frozen shrimp, though?

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I have been wondering if Ghost Shrimp are Ok to feed to Pacman frogs. Ghost Shrimp are $0.33 a peice live, which isn't bad for the occasional treat, so long as they aren't harmful to Pacman frogs.

SSMcLeod

I do not know this about frogs in general but we can take some educated guesses...

You can feed most herps cooked and unseasoned prawns and shrimps - so I would guess the same with frogs (raw ones can make your pets sick - something about chemistry - so I wouldn't risk it)

As for ghost shrimp; I would say no. They are bottom feeders, and pacmans are not great swimmers, so you could put them in there and I bet they would go greatly ignored. As for using them on tongs and waving them infront of the frogs face... I still wouldnt, again shrimp have bacteria in their shells and I wouldn't want to risk the exposure to foreign bodies.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SSMcLeod View Post
    As for ghost shrimp; I would say no. They are bottom feeders, and pacmans are not great swimmers, so you could put them in there and I bet they would go greatly ignored. As for using them on tongs and waving them infront of the frogs face... I still wouldnt, again shrimp have bacteria in their shells and I wouldn't want to risk the exposure to foreign bodies.
    LoL, I didn't mean put the Pacman frog in a tank with Ghost Shrimp. I meant just tong feed them, or put the Ghost shrimp in the tank dry, and make sure it doesn't flop out (they are very good jumpers). If they have some kind of Bacteria that is harmful to frogs, however, I would avoid feeding them ghost shrimp, as they are often kept in overstocked conditions.

I still can't give any imput on saltwater shrimp LoL.

tukmol

i often feed shrimps to my pacman frog. without the head and exoskeleton of course.

i have a pack of shrimp meat (used for sautee dishes) kept in the freezer. when it's feeding time, i just thaw some through warm running water, then feed it to my frog directly using tongs.

he loves shrimp.

Eel Noob

If feeding market shrimps maybe try going for the fresh ones as I believe the precooked ones have salt added.

Nationality
    [United States]

I feed my pacs store bought shrimp sometimes when i run out of food they love it i inthawed them from being frrozen and then peel of the shell

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've never used uncooked, but I've used cooked plenty of times for a variety of large amphibians.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

10. This member thanks John for this post:

tukmol

hello everyone.

don't feed thawed shrimp that's been in the freezer for a long time already.

my pacman seems to have LBM. he bloated for 3 days since the last shrimp (then stopped feeding him, thinking of obesity), and he pooped out a whitish, gooey, smelly fecal matter. he was also ignoring any food.

i threw away the remaining shrimps. next time i'll feed him shrimps fresh from the market.

i cleaned his cage this morning. he became active afterwards, still a bit bloated. i'll try to feed him later with this...

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've been feeding shrimp on and off for years and never had any problems I could attribute to it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information