Thread: Need help!! i think my frog has impaction

sarafroggy

Default Need help!! i think my frog has impaction

i think it might be too late for him but there is a huge bubble coming out of his rear. i heard you can use warm sugar water for 20 mins? is it possible to pop that bubble?

its been going on for over a year now and i didnt know what to do. he seems fine when i pick him up. he moves around and he eats crickets when i put them in. its just the bubble that must be annoying him im sure

i've got some pictures i took to show you guys.

please get back to me soon and let me know how to fix this.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Need help!! i think my frog has impaction

Wow, personally I would either take it to a vet or put it down. I wish I was more help but I don't really know what to do, sorry.

Leefrogs

that looks like he pooped out all of his entestines. Vet, like right now. I'm suprised he lived through the first incident a year ago. If he survived that, held will survive what the vet does.

sarafroggy

well ive heard on this forum that soaking the frog in warm water might help so im doing that right now and im gonna try that for a few days first and then see what happens. do you think the vet would really know what to do ?

Leefrogs

That is not an impaction!!! That is his guts hanging out of his rear!!! Water is not going to help that!! Vet! Vet! Vet!

sarafroggy

what is the vet going to do ?

Leefrogs

Give you a little bill and tell u there's nothing he can do

Or give u a big bill and have u give him a liquid diet

Ithor way, make sure it's a herp vet

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow yeah if this had happened to my frog I would take him to a vet immediately. Hopefully this is not a serious problem but looking at these pictures I doubt that is the case...

I don't know what the warm water will do, especially if Ginger's right and that is his intestines or some other organ hanging out...it could be a prolapsed cloaca, but I have never seen one of those so I'm not sure what it would look like.

Try to PM one of our moderators or our Administrator John to see if he has had experience with this before. If you're lucky it's something fixable...but if you're not this could be a serious problem.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

Looks like prolapse to me. Which is basically his rectum pushed inside out. Mix one teaspoon of sugar in one cup of warm water. Remember they are not warm blooded animals so warm to them is slightly above room temp. Soak him in it for one hour. This should help him get it back in.....in theory. Some have had success with this method others not. But give it a try. Prolapse can happen when there is an impaction or the frog is eating too large of food. Take a look at his environment and correct any potential hazards. Keep us posted on how he does and get him to a herp vet asap.

sarafroggy

hey thanks for all the help and suggestions.. ill try the warm water again and see what happens.

it'd be nice to find a herp vet but i dont have alot of money to spend on vet costs depending on what it is. i'll keep you guys updated

Leefrogs

You should take the frog in now and leave him there until you get money for the bill. Even if durring a shed they somehow pull back in, it's just going to happen over and over again. Kind of like torture..,........

His *** needs to be stitched, or whatever the vet can do. He's already suffered a YEAR

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I do agree strongly with Ginger and think you should take this frog to a vet right away...I know I said before that this may be treated with some other method but I do think that your best bet would be to take him to a vet...I know they can be expensive but this would be the type of problem I would say is serious enough to be seen by a professional. At the very least I would find a herp vet and ask for some quotes on pricing that has to do with this particular problem...your frog could be in unnecessary pain and it would really be a benefit to both of you to at least see if a vet would mind seeing your frog for a reduced price or something...
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

here it is, way beyond impaction!!

Thread Information