Thread: White Lipped Tree Frog issue

Default White Lipped Tree Frog issue

I have had this frog for over three months and he has never done well since I have had him. I do not think he has eaten in the last two months. I have kept a close eye on how many crickets I place into the terrarium. Humidity stays around 70 and temperature is around 75f. He had plenty of room, substrate, water dish, and live safe plants. Well I decided last night I would do something different. I force fed him baby food. He ate eat and seemed to really enjoy it. I was wondering if this was a safe method. I believe he may have enternal parasites that was there from the day I bought him. He hasn't used the bathrooom in a VERY long time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: White Lipped Tree Frog issue

I don't know if this is a way to keep him going.
    I'd try 1/2 or 1/4 of an earth worm, or a whole red one.
    Maybe a honey bath, 1drop per ounce of water mixed with clear pedialite 1/10 water. I've heard this helps their energy level and increases appitite. I think if had works he would eat and not gain weight. They wouldve errupted through his skin by now. I don't know. Maybe the baths and a visit to the vet.

I think baby food has allot of cereal, he would need protien. Force feed crickets or worms

lnaminneci

EZweasel,

Awww...your poor little guy! First off I would put him in a tepid water/honey bath to rehydrate him. You can read about it here.... Frog First Aid.
    Then I would get the little guy to a vet. It is not good that he hasn't eaten in so long. You can also try feeding him crickets in a seperate container instead of in his enclosure, he might be having trouble hunting them if he is weak.
    Can you post pictures of him and his enclosure please. This will help the experts when they pop in and hopefully give you some suggestions as well.

Hope he gets better soon.

~Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I don't know if this is a way to keep him going.
    I'd try 1/2 or 1/4 of an earth worm, or a whole red one.
    Maybe a honey bath, 1drop per ounce of water mixed with clear pedialite 1/10 water. I've heard this helps their energy level and increases appitite. I think if had works he would eat and not gain weight. They wouldve errupted through his skin by now. I don't know. Maybe the baths and a visit to the vet.

I think baby food has allot of cereal, he would need protien. Force feed crickets or worms
    I think I am going to try the honey bath thing. That seems to be a pretty good sollution. The baby food is actually chicken and chicken broth. It has calcium, vitamin D, and alot of protien. I would take a picture of the enclosure, but have already taken it apart and have placed him in a seperate container. It is alot smaller though, but it is only temporary. The terrarium I had him in originally was an 18"x18". I will take a picture probably tonight when I get home because I am at work right now. Thank you all for your concern and help.

Kurt

Does the tank have good ventilation? Also force feeding never ends well in my experience. If we are talking gastrointestinal parasite, then a vet needs to be seen and the frog treated with metronidazole and fenbendazole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Does the tank have good ventilation? Also force feeding never ends well in my experience. If we are talking gastrointestinal parasite, then a vet needs to be seen and the frog treated with metronidazole and fenbendazole.
    It does have good ventilation. Sadly, I do not have a vet who deals with exotic animals or frogs anywhere around me. He actually looks alot better right now (I just got home)Maybe I can get some pictures up.

Thread Information