Thread: Hello, I have new red eye tree frogs! And we have issues...

kittysolo

Unhappy Hello, I have new red eye tree frogs! And we have issues...

Hello, joined to learn more about my new red eye tree frogs. I bought them from the local corporate pet store and have had nothing but problems!
    Everything I have read has something new to say about set up and care. My set up is:
    29g tank half screen half glass top. I use black heat light and under tank heater for heat.
    Q: The majority of what I read says they do not need UVA or UVB lighting, and they do not like bright light. Should I use any sort of florescent bulb, or does that create to much light?
    They are on Forest Floor Bedding which is completely covered by Forest Moss.
    Several vines and artificial ivy hang across the entire tank. A large piece of cork bark is sitting for cover, but they spend all their time on the leaves or glass.
    For humidity I spray they frogs/tank with a spray bottle, or use a fogger.
    The temp usually stays 65-80 night/day and humidity sticks at about 80%.

Does that set up sound suitable?

The most major problem I had was a frog with internal parasites which caused large red wounds all over her belly. I took her to the vet today who treated her with Ivermectin, and she died a few hours later. I would be treating my others in prevention.
    Any idea of a better treatment in case one of my current frogs turn out to have the same problem (all from the same vendor)?

Of the remaining frogs I am concerned with white dots on their backs. My vet suggested using Baytril or Ciproloxacin ophthalmic solution for one week, and use tea tree oil on their skin. He unfortunately is not personally familiar with the breed, and even though he contacted someone who is I am not confident with their answers. Especially after what happened with my frog with parasites.

The other potential problem I have is white dots on their skin (backside only).
    Two of the frogs only have about 2-3 dots which have not changed or grown since I got them nearly a month ago.
    I bought another frog 2 weeks ago who is covered in them. They are very prominent when his skin dark green at night. In the daytime during his much lighter shade they're hardly noticeable.

In total I have 5 frogs, from two different shipments from the same vendor. When I discovered the one with parasites on Saturday I cleaned out and replaced the bedding in my 29g and moved her to a 10g lined with paper towels. I separated the 2 I had bought a month ago and left them in the 29g and moved the other two from the same shipments as the one with parasites to an additional 10g tank.

In a year or so when they are bigger I plan to move them all into a much larger tank, but for the time being they seemed happy in the 29. Bigger is better!

Thanks for reading and any advice you might have for us. We need it!

Leefrogs

Default Re: Hello, I have new red eye tree frogs! And we have issues...

first off welcome to the forum. Second, the white marks are normal. They are individual to each frog, kinda like freckles. If your vet is suggesting barrio treatment for these spots-- get a differnent vet. Third, I don't think you'd need heat at all, but since you have it already. ....

Fourth, tank size.. It says two adult reds can be in a 10 gal tank. So that's 5 gal a frog.

All the moving will stress them out, calm down, leave them where they are and let them settle in. It takes up to two months for them to really sit and be happy. Your night light is really for you're viewing, you can shut it off when you go to bed. Reds can get down to 60 I think before you have to worry. My frogs get freiked out by the light so I don't use it. If they are hunting and moving around then they're fine with it.

As far as parisites, if he's not framiliar with red eyes, he's not framiliar with frogs at all. Get fecals done by someone else, and parisites are kinda normal, but take over when a frog is stressed.

Good luck, we'll see if there's anymore advise from other members.

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum...you've come to the right place. Please check out the care article on the left. Your temps are fine but the humidity is a little too high to keep them at all the time. I keep mine around 60 sometimes 70. They will prefer no night light on at night and I would try to do that for at least the next 30 days so that they can settle in and relax. I would stop seeing that vet as he obviously doesn't know anything about frogs and may have been the cause of your frogs death. Your frogs should be a bright lime green in the daytime and dark green at night. The white dots are normal markings for red eyes and will vary from frog to frog. Your tank should be densely planted using up as much of the vertical space you can. You should have a couple of water bowls for them to soak in each night. Change the water Every morning. Theyre main diet will consist of small to medium cricket....dust the crickets with vitamin/calcium powder. Treat their soaking water with water conditioner. They don't seem to like worms. They are actually very easy frogs to care for. When you get a chance why don't you post a picture of their tank. Hope this helps.

kittysolo

The vet and I assumed they are parasites, because the frog had almost sudden wounds all over his belly. Nothing had changed in the tank and the frog hand not been handled in over a week. I'm going to inform him about the white spots being freckles, he is inexperienced with the frogs, but he's very curious and would love to learn. I'm glad I have nothing else to worry about!
    I'm going to keep the two pairs separated for at least a month because I am afraid of the parasites. The vet had asked for a fecal test for the frog who died today, I'll collect one from one of the seemingly healthy frogs. I didn't take any pictures of the sick frog, he is the second one from the same shipment to die with the same symptoms.

I'm using reverse osmosis water for them, and I change it everyday. I feed crickets which are dusted.

How often do you recommend I clean the tanks completely?

Leefrogs

ya, I wouldn't let an unexperianced vet work on my frog. If he mixed up wormer wrong that could kill your frog. I beleive his treating an animal out of his realm of leicensing is illegal. You need a real herp vet.

My local vet won't even sell me pancur cuz of liability issues.

Thread Information