Thread: Live plants in terrarium

frogalicious

Default Live plants in terrarium

Hello everybody
    I'm new in frogging. And I mean new, got my two Red eyed tree frog this morning. I got terrarium set up for couple of days before frogs arrived just to make sure I can maintain temp and humidity. Anyways, I have a question about live plants. (1)How do you set up those tree bromeliads and when you have live plants (2) how (if) do you fertilize them. Thanks for answers. Mary
    PS: thanks to this forum I feel pretty confident about having frogs,
    thank you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Live plants in terrarium

there's two or three ways you could do it.
    One, go hike around, find an old barkless stick with a Y in the end or a shape to support your brom. Bake stick fir an hour in oven at 200 degrees. Cut it to fit, soak brim for 24 hours, wipe leaves, clean roootball, wrap roots around stick, layer moss enough to cover roots and wrap with string.

You could cut a hole in your background and but brim roots in there

Or get a cork bark and cut a hole in there, glue a little pot to the back/ or inside of the cork.

Fertilizers are a no no. I made a thread about fertilizers and only Don answered, the sum between Don and I was that wood stove ash is probably safe. My other alternatives was fish emulshion, or bone meal. No feedback on those two though.

Broms are sold at the end of their life, when n the flowering stage, so pick one with an offshoot (baby) because you plant may only last for a year.

Did I forget to say welcome to the forum?

frogalicious

Thanks for quick answer. I wanna put more live plants in terrarium and really like the looks of bromelias.
    Mary

Leefrogs

Ok, if you're planting the bottom, you wana make a drainage layer. I would place the brom at the very top of the hill so it would get the best drainage. The roots are really for holding on. All nutients and water are absorbed from the center. And the roots tend to rot if saturated for too long. Don Lisk made a nice viv with broms if you wana look in his alblum.

frogalicious

Thanks, that might explain why my other broms (both potted) didn't survive my TLC
    I wanna go with the in wood planted bromelia so hopefully this time will have more luck with it. Mary.

Thread Information