Thread: White's tree frog burrowing and not eating

Mark

Default White's tree frog burrowing and not eating

My White's Tree Frog that I've had for about about 8 months started burrowing in the back corner a few days ago and has remained there. It has not even exited at night which is quite unusual as it will normally sit and look expectantly for food after waking from its usual resting spot on the back wall.

The humidity (between 50 - 60%) and temperature (between 70 - 80F) have not changed nor has the diet or any other environmental factors as far as I'm aware. It did exit the burrow briefly after I misted the tank but returned the following day after defecating (usual appearance) though it was not interested in eating.

Is this normal behaviour and if so, should I continue the usual regimen of misting and water changes? I wasn't sure if they undergo a "hibernation" of sorts and do not want to unnecessarily disturb it.

Thanks in advance for your advice to this neophyte.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: White's tree frog burrowing and not eating

Ok, 8 months, nothing has changed. The only thing that pops into mind is, how often do you do a complete breakdown and clean? This should be done every couple months, disenfect everything, boiling water with bleach& dry evetything out.
    There's no hybernation with whites, but their own toxins can build up in the tank. Repace moss ever month(unless it's grown) even this can make your frog sick as it stars to decompose.

Does this sound like a good guess?

Grrrit

I don't keep whites but I've read somewhere that's if its nit humid enough they'll burrow. Like I said, this is just hear-tell. But Gingers right about cleaning cages as many frogs have their own current levels of toxins. Even in captivity, although not as potent as in the wild

phoebe froggy

I had one of mine do that and we found that the humidity was too high,it was too damp,we try and keep it around 50% or they are not happy

6. This member thanks phoebe froggy for this post:

Leefrogs

I'm glad you said that. I created a thread about my whites not being very green, and noticed in the store they had very low humidity(brown there) and wanted to dry it up a bit. I think it's all on how they grew up, right? Like on what prefeances they have for humidity?
    Good, now I have some backing for lowering it some. See if kermit turns to his normaly vibrant self.

8. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Grrrit

Sorry if I got that wrong. I knew I had read something on humidity playing a role with there activity and behavior.

Leefrogs

Oh, not you dude! Yes that's true about burrowing, but if they grew up at Petco-- they'll get weird at higher levels.

No I had a thread in January, and I said I had 60% and thaught I'd drop it to 55, and everyone then , was like no,no, you should raise it. And they've been brown ever since. So now with her chiming in, I'm going to drop mine to 50% and see if they get happy.

Didn't mean to make you feel targeted, sorry man. I couldve phrased that different. But I was just so estatic. . . . :

Grrrit

I understand, I just didn't want to pass out bad info is all.

Mark

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. It's really appreciated and I'll adjust the temperature and humidity knowing that White's do not hibernate.

Thanks again

Grrrit

No prob. Everyone here is happy to help

Thread Information