Thread: Gray Tree Frog with Cuban Tree Frog?

ashb

Default Gray Tree Frog with Cuban Tree Frog?

Would a cuban tree frog house well together with hyla versicolor in a 10 gallon terrarium? I believe the hyla to be a female and is larger than the cuban, which I believe to be a male.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog with Cuban Tree Frog?

This would probably be alright but my standard disclaimer applies: mixing species can be a bad idea.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ashb

Thanks for the quick reply John. I'll let you know how things move along!

Kurt

I would strongly advise against it! Cuban treefrogs are somewhat toxic. You can try mixing them, but I think it can only end in disaster.

ashb

I do remember reading somewhere that their skin is very slightly toxic, however I don't see how this would affect the gray treefrog is the terrarium is misted frequently and the frogs wouldnt come into contact too much.

Kurt

They would come in contact with each other and they would the same water bowl. So, the chances of cross-contamination are very high. I definitely would not house the two together.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Kurt is right to be concerned but I've heard of this combination several times without incident. I wouldn't do it though.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ashb

Haven't posted in a while but here's an update. The frogs get along very well and they have very little stress. They both gorge themselves and I have not noticed any trouble between the two since their pairing. I was nervous at first but the situation resulted in a very favorable outcome. I will be releasing the gray tree frog shortly because I kept him/her only for a period of time to nurse it back to health. I will post if there is any change in behavior in the cuban tree frog after the removal of the gray tree frog!

Kurt

It is illegal to release captive animals in some places, even if they are native to the area. The reason being is they could've picked up pathogens in captivity, that they could then infect the local animal populations with, possibly wiping them out. Check your local laws.

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't even know why you would try mixing them. Cubans are wiping out native frogs in the southern states of the US, including cinerea and versicolor. While a full grown female Grey would probably be too much to handle for a Cuban, Cubans of ALL tree frogs I've kept, are the most voraciou feeders. Much more voracious than Whites. If I missed a feeding for a day or two, they would LUNGE at each other. Not only that, but Cubans have very toxic [relatively] skin secretions.

Cubans are the hardiest frog ever to be kept in captivity. They can be kept in the worst conditions and will do fine. Greys are rather fragile in comparison. Mixing greens with greys would be one thing. Just do a little research on the Cuban tree frog in Florida.
    Last edited by Kurt; December 3rd, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

froggymatt

i have mixed greys with two greens before, but i wont try mixing cubans with anything. i have seen a cuban(full grown female) take a large anole down for lunch! theese guys are VERY cannabalistic!

Thread Information