Thread: New Pacman

Tsuhei

Default New Pacman

Hello there! I have just purchased my first Pacman frog (Ceratophrys cranwelli?)from my local Petsmart 8 days ago. I have owned firebelly toads before, as well as a Whites Tree Frog, but never a Pacman. I have done some extensive research before purchasing, but I have still found myself running into a few obstacles.

First, my set up:

10 gallon tank
    Heat light (50 watts)
    Flourescent overhead light
    Undertank heater (4 watts) (placed on the side of the tank)
    Ecoearth
    3 Fake plant decorations
    1 water dish
    1 resin log hide
    1 Hydrometer and 1 Thermometer Gauge
    Mist Bottle (non chlorinated water)

I leave the lights and heater on for 12 hours a day, then unplug everything for 12 hours for night. During the day, the tank temperature is 82ºF-85ºF and the humidity is always between 75% to 80%. At night, the tank drops to 77ºF-79ºF and about 75% humidity.

I turn the soil occasionally to ensure no fungus or mildew growth will occur. I do not handle my frog unless necessary.

My problem: My frog has not eaten since the day I got it. It came with two crickets in its container, but did not eat them. I have offered it red wrigglers via forceps (dusted with Calcium Dust with D3 and undusted) as well as undusted small crickets, via free range and forceps. Regardless, it refused to eat everything I offered. I have also tried rubbing the food gently against its mouth to try and entice it to eat.

I understand they get the "move-in jitters", but it worries me because this is still a juvenile. It is about the size of a half-dollar but is still decently plump.

What is a solution to try to get my frog to eat? It is not estivating/hibernating...it moves around occasionally and has pooped once in its water dish since I brought it home. It has also shed in its water dish.

Here's some pictures of my frog...his/her name is Oprah (for now. My father thought it would be witty.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tsuhei

Default Re: New Pacman

Well, it's been about 10 days since he's eaten and I still haven't gotten a single helpful response.

Now, once more: pacman is not eating. I've left food alone with it and I've tried forceps. I tried feeding it today after 3 days of not touching it or doing anything in its environment. Not working. It did poop again today, though, which is odd because it hasn't eaten a single thing I've given it (I know because I've been keeping track of how many insects go in and come out...plus forcep feeding isn't working).

Pacman is also skittish and has not acted aggressively toward me or anything else.

Wormwood

He looks healthy enough from the pictures.

10 days is a long time but not terribly long in regards to skiddish frogs/toads. I have a cane toad now that will refuse to eat at all if she notices me in the room or feels my vibrations through the tank.

Best just to leave free roaming crickets in the tank for now, limit the plants they can climb up on so they stay on the ground.

Maybe get a small smooth sided dish (somewhere between his hide and the water dish) and put some meal worms in it to add some other movement in the tank and temptation. Any frog/toad I've had has gone nuts over super worms. One or two of those might get the appiete going.

Tsuhei

Thank you for the response. I took out most of the decor minus a miniature plant and the water bowl and placed two crickets into my pacman's tank. Unfortunately, it's been almost two days and it still hasn't eaten and is going on two weeks without food.

When should I resort to force feeding? I don't want it to die of starvation.

kattivo

Here is what I would try:

Your substrate looks a bit on the dry side so you may want to increase the moisture content. The enclosure may be a bit too large for the animal so a smaller temporary enclosure until it puts on more size may help.

These guys are active and on the hunt in the evening and your little guy may be a bit shy due to his size. Wait until nightfall and have some dusted crix ready. Once you see the little guy on the prowl then drop in the crix. Take account of the crix and do a recount the next morning. Remove any uneaten crix as they may stress the animal further. Depending on how many are eaten, he/she may not eat again for an extra day or two. Repeat until your animal begins feeding regularly and then you can start experimenting with other prey items.

This worked with my little one and it was a bit shy initially and would not eat while I looked on. But after a few trials it has become a bit bolder...just hammered a fuzzy mouse right as I dropped it in there tonight. Once yours gets started, I am sure you will have no further issues.

Hope this helps!!!

Thread Information