Thread: MeTree's fish

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile MeTree's fish

Hey guys. I had a very detailed, long thread up, but I had some internet problems and it all closed down. I am going to start again from scratch, but not as informative.

I started fishkeeping last summer in June. It has nearly been a year since I started, and I have learned alot. Right now I have 123 gallons of water filtering through 10 times an hour (in most tanks) in my room. I am about out of space, so I probably will not get anymore fish tanks setup.

Let me give you a list of tanks I have currently setup, and a brief history behind them;

55 gallon Amazon Tank
    This tank I just setup this week. After planning it since October of last year, I finally got the last thing I needed, substrate. The tank has a spnge filter in it, and live plants. The plants will multiply soon.
    Parial Tank view; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3713.jpg
    Plants & Fish;
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3730.jpg
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3731.jpg
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3732.jpg

30 gallon Saltwater Tank
    I don't have good lighting in this tank. No corals, just some coraline algae, "yellow polyps" (which may not be yellow polyps), and some other algae that looks like coral. It is a neat tank with 2 (aggressive) damselfish.
    Here is a link to my saltwater tank album;
    http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...Gallon%20Tank/

10 gallon Jewel Cichlid Tank
    I love my little Jewel Cichlid. He used to have a small cichlid buddy that he was great friends with, but the little guy squeezed under the tank divided and was killed by its mother . That was back when Joel was just a Juvie, he has the tank all to himself now.

I do not have any recient pictures of Joel.

10 gallon Amazon Quarantine Tank
    It is empty now, but it was full of fish and plants a week ago. [Please note that this tank was temporarily overstocked, but I am an advance fishkeeper who loaded the tank with plants and had a very strict water change schedule. Do not attempt to overstock a tank without much prior fish care experience!]
    1 week ago;
    Full tank view; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3475.jpg
    Albino and "Julii" (aka 3 stripe) Corydoras; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/RSCN2991.jpg
    Lemon Tetras; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN2908.jpg
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN2902.jpg
    Ghost Shrimp [not Amazonian];
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN2924.jpg

5 gallon Betta & African Dwarf Frog Tank
    I just got this tank setup afew days ago. It used to be where I keep my guppies, but I only have 1 guppy now and Tony needed some room.
    My new ADF; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3739.jpg
    Old pictures of Tony my Betta; http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSCN2607.jpg
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...as/Fish113.jpg

Various smaller tanks;
    2 gallon Temporary Guppy Tank
    1 guppy named Washington;
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3087.jpg
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...h/DSCN3084.jpg
    1.5 gallon Snail Breeder and Betta Tank
    Spike, my other Betta;
    http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSCN3115.jpg
    I also breed Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Ramshorn Snails in that tank.

Those are my fish! Well, afew of them. I listed all the tanks, though. I put all the pictures on links, because I know some people have slower internet (or weird internet like mine). Sorry for all the links for the people who have fast internet, my internte is weird today, and it crashes when I load [IMG] files.

Anyway, those are my fish.

Feel free to comment or make picture request and stuff like that.

MeTree,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

artes

Default Re: MeTree's fish

Awesome! I enjoyed seeing your fish!

artes

Btw, I love Spike. Awesome tail.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! Spike is at least part Delta/Super Delta.

Nationality
    [United States]

Smile Finally got some pics of Joel!

I finally got some pictures of Joel. The tank he is in now was given to my by a fellow fishkeeping friend who had it way before I did. He had the tnak setup for at least 2 years, so it is pretty splotchy. Sorry about that. Glass can ruin some good photos.

Here are the pictures;
    Name:  DSCN3753.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  85.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN3752.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  DSCN3755.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN3754.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  80.2 KB

He really is argueably my most beautiful fish, it is hard to appreciate his color with camera flash through that ugly glass. The flash also makes his "shiny spots" more green than blue. Much prettier in person, these pictures don't give him justice.

artes

Default Re: Finally got some pics of Joel!

I can still tell he's beautiful. Although I must insist you remove the glass so you can take better pictures! >_> <_<

Nationality
    [Australia]

Very nice i recently just brought a few more fish for my 200L tropical tank(no idea what that is in gallons) And everything is looking good , anyway though really good setups
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    Very nice i recently just brought a few more fish for my 200L tropical tank(no idea what that is in gallons) And everything is looking good , anyway though really good setups
    I do believe 200L is about 55 gallons. What kind of fish are you stocking it with? Some people would be shocked to realize the major incompatabilities fish have with each other (water chemistry, aggressiveness, region, etc.). It is also too easy to overstock a 55 gallon tank if you don't have some basic rules, or a good aquarium calculator such as AqAdvisor.

If you ever need advice, go ahead and ask! I spend soo much of my time (not as much as I used to, but still) helping beginers are intermediates on different fish forums, and help the completely clueless (mostly) people on Yahoo! Answers. No offense to anyone on there. I am just tired of hearing people say,"Oh yeah, you can put about 3 Goldfish in a 10 gallon tank." (when commons need their own 80g our they'll be stunted and have internet issues, fancies need a 20g long tank as minimum for 1) Nobody respects the experts who don't go mainstream.

ANYWAY...LOL. That goes to anyone on here with fish also. Notice, I don't do Pirahnas, Bichirs, Pacu, Arowanas, Flowerhorns, (preditory) Butterfly fish, Leaf fish (Amazonian or African), Saltwater Groupers, Saltwater Moray Eels, etc. Those are the big, mean, mostly rare fish that I never plan on getting.

artes

I do Flowerhorns, if anybody has a question on that. And Mercy isn't mean! She just... has a large appetite.

...She did let a red zebra cichlid live when I had to put her in a 30 gallon tetra tank for maintenance reasons. And four corydorases.

Nationality
    [Australia]

At the moment i have upside down catfish(subspecies not the big aggressive ones) peppered corydora's, khuli loaches, bristlenose catfish, black and blue neons, a Black angel fish and a silverdollar.

artes

Angelfish and silver dollars both do better in groups, and silver dollars get a bit big for a 55 gallon. If you're not too attached to it, I would get rid of the silver dollar and get 2-3 more angelfish. Also, keep in mind angelfish are very likely to eat the blue neons, as that's their natural food source in the wild.

I know nothing about catfish though, so MeTree will have to weigh in on those.

Edit: They will leave the black neons alone.

Nationality
    [Australia]

Yeah i have had the black angel fish for about 2 years he had 2 others wih him but they died about 4 months ago so far hasn't eaten any fish as for the silver dollar my friend gave it to me because of his oscar which basically ate everything in his tank except for the bristlnose. Also the catfish i have are non aggresive and don't grow very big so i should be ok with that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oops, I didn't know anything was going on on this thread. Sorry. Artes is right, though. Everything is correct there.

Oscars are wonderful monsters. They aren't "aggressive" per say, but they will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths (you'd be suprised). They usually do fine with South American Cichlids, but I don't recomend putting them with Dwarf Cichlids (e.g. Bolivian Rams, Blue Rams, Apistogrammas, etc.). Sometimes they get along with adult angelfish, but Angels can be aggressive towards Oscars and that can cause fights. I don't recomend that. Also larger catfish (common plecos in 75g+ tanks, etc.) work fine.

Silver Dollars are pretty much too big for a 55 gallon tank, considering you have to have a minimum of 6 of the huge guys. Personally, if I was going to have a Monsterous shoal fish in a 100 gallon tank, I'd pick Red-belly Pacu (they look like Pirahnas). You don't want to keep a shoal fish in too low numbers, or they are much more likely to develope contagious diesases, which can easily be transfered to many of your other fish, depending on the diesase.

Angels look great in a shoal (it is highly recomended you keep them in pairs, min rec 3 pairs). Be warned, like artes said, they will eat/attack very small shoaling species, espeically the neon and cardinal tetras. That also includes small rasboras and minnows (which you don't have to worry about keeping if you go all South American fish).

Upside Down Catfish are generally peaceful. They can lash out at times, so watch your little fish. In a well maintained setup, you generally will not have alot of aggression from this catfish. I am sure you are already aware that it is mainly nocturnal.

With your Pepper Corydoras (assuming it is your only shoal of Corydoras), need to be kept in a group of no less than 4. They will enjoy more numbers.

The Khulis need to be in a shoal. I forgot to mention that I am not a loach expert, either. I love them, but they just take up so much room. I have never really done alot of research into them. I can't remember how big they get, but I can look it up.

Bristlenose are great plecos all-round. They aren't nearly as aggressive as the common plecostomus. They stay relatively small. Usually they are peaceful, but they can be competitive for food if it comes down to that. They also need driftwood in the tank. It is a requirement. A must.

You do have many fish that dwell in the lower region of the tank, and not alot that dwell higher. This can be a crowded scenario if you aren't careful, and the species may become competitive for food. The loaches and Catfish will probably end up showing the most aggression.

Overall, this setup may become overstocked to meet all the needs of the shoaling fish. If you are looking at satifying every group you are looking at;

3 pairs (6) Black Angelfish
    6 Khuli Loaches
    4 Pepper Corydoras
    6 Black Neons
    1 Upside Down Catfish
    ...maybe something I left out

That in itself may not be overstocked. I'll have to figure it up in my head and let you know. I don't recomend adding any new kind of fish, though. I also recomend you return the (blue) neons and the Silver Dollar to the LFS.

You may want to take back some low range fish and get some larger tetra shoals (Black Widow are awesome), to reduce the competition at the lower region, and to give your tank some color. Just a thought.

Sounds great! If I can help anymore, please PM me. I'll help you out the best I can.

Nationality
    [Australia]

Thx my friend actually just came and got his silver dollar(Hopefully it doesn't get eaten) and i actually have a smaller 40L tank that i am moving my neons into so i can get more angelfish thx for your help

Froog

Thumbs up Re: MeTree's fish

Beautiful fish! Love your bettas and Joel! Hope to see more pics soon!

Vort

Hey there, good to see another reefer here, even if you're a budding one. Your tank doesn't really look great, you've got some macro algae growing on your rocks - coralline growth looks fairly minimal, if you aren't I'd reccomed dosing some calcium, trace elements, and an dkh buffer - however your paly ( button polyps ) growth looks nice, might want to upgrade your lighting of you're aiming to keep some corals, and of you are, stick to softies ( you can find colt coral frags at your LFS for pretty cheap, usually) until you upgrade lighting, on the other hand, your damsels are absolutely stunning, also, registering at nano-reef could help you out a lot, I do hate to be the guy that points out your tank's flaws, but I just have your tank's bet interest at heart, Vort, the madman who keeps SPS under PC

Thread Information