Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Injured terrib

clownonfire

Default Help - Injured terrib

Hi all,

I am quite shaken right now. One of my terribs escaped somehow, I do not know how. I never had a frog escape before.

The terrib was caught by a cat, and mistreated. It's missing a foot. It is still alive, and I have put him in a different tank. But I do not know what to do. I know the purist out there will suggest that I kill it. I don't know if I have that in me.

I will try and see if I can find a vet around here. Is there anything else I can do until then?

Thank you. I am shattered.

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Help - Injured terrib

The major issue with an injury like this is that the wound site is wide open to infection. In all honesty I would put it down if it was my frog, but if you want to try to save it you need to get it into a very clean environment. I would use a sterilite tub, paper towel for substrate and plastic hides for ease of cleaning and disinfection. You should also get it started on antibiotics as soon as possible, my preference is Baytril but you may have to go with another depending on what is available in Canada.

clownonfire

Thank you Tony. I know you and Michael are trying to find the easiest way of doing it and I appreciate, I will put it down today. I am just so fuc**ing upset and sad.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Thank you Tony. I know you and Michael are trying to find the easiest way of doing it and I appreciate, I will put it down today. I am just so fuc**ing upset and sad.
    I know the feeling, I hate losing a frog. **** luck hits us all, try not to get too discouraged.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I know the feeling, I hate losing a frog. **** luck hits us all, try not to get too discouraged.
    Tony, can you let me know what to do? Mike suggested Orajel, but I was tearing up too much couldn't follow the thread.

Tony

Applying Orajel to the underside of the frog (belly and the "drinking patch" toward the rear) should bring a quick and painless end.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Eric,

Man I am so sorry to hear about this. I too fear the little escape artists we keep and our family cat that loves to go into the frog room when she can. Right now she attacks the aquarium fish and I'm afraid of her actually pulling the tank over. Crazy thing.

I'm not sure from who I heard this from but a escaped frog will eventually happen to all of us.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

bshmerlie

Eric I'm so sorry for your loss. Please try not to beat yourself up too much on this. Sometimes things happen. We all try our best to prevent these things, but frogs can be very fast sometimes. We all underestimate just how quick they are at times. I agree with Tony the way you described him it would be best to put him down. Besides cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouthes and punture wounds or open wounds would surely get infected. You are in my prayers.

clownonfire

Thank you everyone. I'm an extremely sensitive and emotional being. I love my frogs, and I know for some this might sound absurd. They are not just little captive beings that I want to breed. They are my morning routine, and night one too. I had been counting obsessively the terribs since I got them.... I just don't know how it escaped.

I bought some Orajel and will take care of this once I get home. i am so so saddened by this. I can't believe this happened.

bshmerlie

I agree with Mike. The more frogs we keep the more likelyhood that this will eventually happen to us all at some point.

clownonfire

I have also contacted Understory Enterprises to see how much it would be to get a new one. We don't have so much loose money right now with the wedding ahead. So hopefully the news will be good on that one.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Eric I am so sorry this has happened to you...but I believe you're doing the right thing. The little guy must be in pain and so frightened...

I'm tearing up just reading this. I have no idea what I would do in your situation, I would have to have someone else put the frog down I know I wouldn't be able to do it...I'm so sorry again for your loss. We all love our frogs (I hope) and understand your pain, even if we haven't gone through it ourselves before.

I commend you for your strength, please don't blame yourself, this is no one's fault. You're in my thoughts. <33333
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Eric I am so sorry this has happened to you...but I believe you're doing the right thing. The little guy must be in pain and so frightened...

I'm tearing up just reading this. I have no idea what I would do in your situation, I would have to have someone else put the frog down I know I wouldn't be able to do it...I'm so sorry again for your loss. We all love our frogs (I hope) and understand your pain, even if we haven't gone through it ourselves before.

I commend you for your strength, please don't blame yourself, this is no one's fault. You're in my thoughts. <33333
    Oh Brit. Thank you. And thank you for taking the time to write a few words. I had a major breakdown at work during lunch time. I know, I am super sensitive, but it is me. I am not looking forward to going home and putting down the frog, but it's the right thing to do.

Thank you all, very honestly. And I also received very sincere warm thoughts on Facebook from Lor, Lesley, my friend Michael Lawrence - dude, you're a class act, and my friend Cheri, who has gone above and beyond today in this matter.

We take good care of one another.

And a special thank you to Tony. Thank you for your words today. Can't wait to work more with you.

I'll be back tonight. I feel i will be a mess later on....

lnaminneci

Oh no Eric!!!! Soooo sorry! I know you are doing everything you can, frogs are just stealthy escape artists and will get out if they are determined.....so sorrry.

I saw your post on facebook and now saw this thread here.

Again Eric I am soo, soo sorry. We get attached to these little guys and they become a part of the family. It is very hard to lose any sort of pet. Don't blame yourself. It is not your fault.

Have yourself a nice stiff drink later tonight! Take care. We are all thinking about you.

~Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    I love my frogs, and I know for some this might sound absurd.
    Not absurd at all, I'm totally with you on this.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little frog. I hate seeing anything suffer. It will be hard but putting it down sounds like it's for the best, so keep strong and don't beat yourself up about it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think it's better that you're sensitive Eric. How cruel for someone to be able to do this to their pet without feeling...I know it may be different for some breeders who have hundreds of frogs, but for the collector/hobbyist it is heart breaking...

Don't thank me I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say something, I feel so terrible for you. Stay strong. <3
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Kurt

Keep it clean and treat the wounds with Neosporin to prevent infection. So sorry. Good luck, frogs have come back from worse.

clownonfire

Update

We have secluded the terrib immediately after the incident. After talking with Cheri on the phone, we moved the frog to a 10 gallon. We have applied Polysporin Triple Antibiotics (without pain reliever) twice a day since then.

She (no clue what sex she is, but it's like that) is active. She hides of course, but will eat. She is pretty beat up, too. And even though we didn't want to name our terribs, she is now Ripley (based on the Alien character).

Here are a few pics. Yes, my thumb looks dirty, but that is after washing them and adding plants in her temporary tank.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images    

lnaminneci

Awwww....I have alot of hope for Ripley!
    She looks strong and will hopefully live up to her name!

I will be thinking of her and praying for a full recovery! The missing foot will give her character. It's amazing how frogs can adapt!

~Lesley

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh poor Ripley...she's in good hands Eric, I've got my fingers crossed for her.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information